587,770 active members*
3,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Bending or twisting aluminum?

Bending or twisting aluminum?

Hi everybody,

First time posting here, I hope somebody can help!

I would like to design a simple aluminum bracket, say the plate measures 1/8" (thickness) x 1.5" (w) x 10" (L). If I section off 3" of the plate, I can either bend it 90 degrees to form a right angle or twist it 90 degrees. Which of the two options, bending or twisting, is easiest/cheapest to produce, or are they both the same? I don't want to design a part only to find out I could have saved heaps of money if I had altered the design. I don't know what's involved in either process, so any suggestions or comments would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mark

There are millions of sheet metal BENDS performed every day. Twisting is not so common and would probably be used only for special situations. Check out youtube for "sheet metal brake".

Make sure you choose an alloy which is conducive to bending, many are not.

Thanks so much for your help, and I'll search for the videos you suggested. It doesn't have to be twisted, but it's preferred. Will have to try and work around it I guess.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Mark

There's no reason it can't be, but bending is a lot easier to do in a generic sense. Better guidance may be offered if you provided a sketch or something of what you are trying to achieve.

Matt

Hi Matt, I don't have a sketch I can provide but just imagine taking a plate of aluminum that measures 1/8" (thickness) x 1.5" (w) x 3" (L), and then twisting it 90 degrees. That's really all there is too it. It's either bending it 90 degrees into a right angle or twisting it 90 degrees. Because I have no experience in the field I wanted to know if one was notably more expensive/difficult to produce than the other. If the cost to do both is the same then I'd rather twist the plate, otherwise I will design the part so it can be bent.

Thanks for all your time.

Kind regards,

Mark

What are you going to use to "twist", it seems to me that bending 1/8 aluminum would be the simpler of the two with a good brake if your trying to hold a certain size.

Hi Matt,

Well, I planned to have this plate designed using CAD software and then sent off to a company that does this sort of work, so I was assuming that they would have the necessary machinery to bend or twist the plate. I'm not familiar with the machinery involved in milling aluminum, and that's part of the problem. I would like the part to be as simple as possible, as that normally translates into less cost; as you mentioned, bending is the simpler of the two. I don't expect to do anything other than receive the anodized part and sell it.