587,490 active members*
6,064 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Equidistant Offset
Page 1 of 2 12

Equidistant Offset

We are getting a gap when using Equidistant Offset, can anyone help with this. We are cutting a taper wall with a ball nose endmill, and Bobcad keep showing a gap in the sim.

Thanks
    Fred

Can you give more information about the file. Or you tooling etc...
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

I have attach the Bobcad file, we are using a Haas Post. Use a 1/2 Ball Nose for finish, and 3/4" Ball for Rough.

Thanks,
    Fred

Here is what I get on a sample....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	equi_dist.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	194274
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

We are running a .006 step over. The part I attached is one that i model in Inventor 2014, but we also have a model from the customer that did the same thing.

Fred

This what my screen shows
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails taper.JPG  

Seal,does it simulate with a gap ?
    I am just not seeing what your seeing in your file.Without doing anything,,just opening the file the way it is,,the gap is simply not there ? ?

Edit,,Ok,you had the 1st feature blanked.1st feature is where the problem is,correct?

I am not sure what going on, it does it on both of our computers running Bobcad, and we just run a part, and it has the mark in it.

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Seal,does it simulate with a gap ?
    I am just not seeing what your seeing in your file.Without doing anything,,just opening the file the way it is,,the gap is simply not there ? ?

Edit,,Ok,you had the 1st feature blanked.1st feature is where the problem is,correct?
    No, it in the second feature.

Well,there is a gap on 1st feature too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gap.JPG  

2nd feature I got a slight gap at the top of part at the transition of the radius.Nothing like your pic. of what you posted,if that is indeed the 2nd feature

Jrmach or RAF,

Could you post the program in a HAAS VF Post.

Fred

Yeah I can.One thing you mentioned was you were doing a .006 step-over.Your file is set for a .010.I tried both ways and see nothing like your pic. shows.
    Out of curiosity,what surface finish are you trying to achieve?

We have to polish to a 32 finish. I forgot we change it .010 step over

You can use my PP,but that not gonna change the fact of what you see on your screen.I am just not seeing it.I have simulated just the finish,and cannot see it either.Looks like RAF was not seeing it.Roughing/yes,,,,finishing/no. ??????????????????

Use PP at your own risk.Been modified for my vf-2

I am at almost the end of a run of parts.Will be setting up for next job soon,,so maybe someone else can jump in.Another set of eyes.I must be missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    You can use my PP,but that not gonna change the fact of what you see on your screen.I am just not seeing it.I have simulated just the finish,and cannot see it either.Looks like RAF was not seeing it.Roughing/yes,,,,finishing/no. ??????????????????

Use PP at your own risk.Been modified for my vf-2

I am at almost the end of a run of parts.Will be setting up for next job soon,,so maybe someone else can jump in.Another set of eyes.I must be missing something.
    I got the same thing with your post. There must be some setting within Bobcad.

I do not know.Either I am visually impaired today or ............
    I even tried changing some of my settings to try and replicate your problem,to no avail.
    Not that this is not a problem with BoB;but that area is not a gouge,correct?It is a missed area,like a bump ??Chuck her in the lathe and sand it,polish it, be done with it.

Hopefully someone will figure this out,it is bugging me.

Edit,I see that 8 people have looked at your file,only 2 have responded.Both Raf and me don't see the problem.I might be able to Ass ume that no one else has either ?????
    On the slight possibility that something went on with who knows what,some where along the line,,,maybe try downloading the file you posted here and see if you still see it.Who knows??

I just downloaded the file. Can we start with a boundry on the second feature? Blank the part and view the toolpath on it.... Setting a boundry, removed the little gap on the upper radius. I'm backplotting it now.

Ok, so there is a gap in the first equald midway down. The boundry for this feature is chosen from the solid model. If you extract the edges of the top area, then use that for a boundry, then the gap will go away. I can only speculate, that using the solids edge is calcing off of a "spline" type of entity, and tolerances dont allow for the equal distance to perform properly. Extracting the edges creates 2 arcs.

The second feature has a gap at the top radius. Although, I'm not sure about the features setup, because it's violating the part without a boundry. Setting a boundry removes the gap also...

In Backplot, the only "mark" I can see, is at the links and makes a "seam" all the way down through the part. Changing the links to "s-type" will remove the seam and produce a smooth finish throughout. s-type is like "blend" where it makes tangent connections to the start and end paths, but looking at tangent to the surface being cut. Straight and direct will make a seam...

I need to qualify that I looked at this with V25.... Is that the same?

From the pic. in post #1 of the 2nd feature,I simply cannot see that in the file I got.Possibly something different in the file the OP uploaded and what he is showing us??????????

Page 1 of 2 12