587,787 active members*
6,544 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Where to find ways?

Well I,ve started my manual mill project. I have the table , base and column. Now I need to find steel ways ( I know the mini mills all have the ways cast in the column and table) However I,m hoping to find a source or ideas for the z axis way. Anyone?

Assuming that you want only adjustable dovetail style ways, as opposed to round rail, or linear slides...one fairly inexpensive source is old lathe parts, specifically the cross or compound slide components..
    In most cases they may not be useable 'as is' but wouldn't take a great deal of modification for use as a Z axis, the origional [probably acme thread] screw wouldn't be very accurate on most but can be upgraded to several different accuracies [or final tolerance levels] of ball screw replacements..
    enjoy..

Have you taken a look at the Dave Gingery book on making a Milling machine.

Do you have some way to grind the ways? Anyway, my advice would be to find some blanchard ground stock, you might also take a look at rails that Wisecarver has for use with their v-bearing.

Sounds like an undertaking and a-half....good luck and happy hunting!

If square ways are acceptable, I'd suggest picking up some pre-hardened, ground tool steel flat. MSC sells it in 18" and 36" lengths, and a wide variety of thicknesses and widths. Drill a few holes, bolt it to a structural upright, bang, "precision" square ways.

Starting on this page they have several pages of the stuff to choose from.

Tiger

Thanx guys, I have read some of the Gingery book, but casting is not in my ability right now. And the square ways I have been thinking about. And yes it is an undertaking. But right now I don,t have the financial means to purchase a mill or lathe just yet( plus I,m waiting for Harbor freight to open up here in Daytona , May15) So I figured why not give it a go. The base and column are made from 2x2x1/8" and 2x3x 1/8" with 1/2 " thick steel L brackets. Just finished drilling everything and should have some pics up tomorrow..

watch ebay for THK rails and carraiges. some of them go pretty cheap, i bought 3x 26" HSR rails each with 4 carraiges for $60 each.