587,748 active members*
2,795 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Problems with CNC Mill - Runaway Errors

Problems with CNC Mill - Runaway Errors

I just bought a used (1995) 3 Axis Acer Ultima Mill with Centroid M-10 Controls about 3 weeks ago. So far I have only done a few test cuts with it, but as of yesterday I went to do my first production run on the machine, and right away ran into many problems. When I first power on the machine it asks you to put it in the home position, so I press cycle start and everything from there is fine. As soon as I load a file and hit cycle start to start the cut it craps out one me with 1 of the following messages:

X Axis Runaway: Check Motor Wiring
    Y Axis Runaway: Check Motor Wiring
    Z Axis Runaway: Check Motor Wiring
    X Axis Position Error Stall: Job Cancelled
    Y Axis Position Error Stall: Job Cancelled
    Z Axis Position Error Stall: Job Cancelled
    X Axis Full Power Without Motion Stall: Job Cancelled
    Y Axis Full Power Without Motion Stall: Job Cancelled
    Z Axis Full Power Without Motion Stall: Job Cancelled

I put a help call in with Centroids Tech Support yesterday, but they have not called me back yet, and its killing me to have this machine done. Just wondering if there is anything I can do in the mean time to possibly troubleshoot this problem.

Thanks for your time,
    Jim

did you bring all axis to there home before before hitting cycle strat the machine may not know it was not a the right home location before starting

Yea Ive tried both, running the cycle from the machines home positions, and also running the cycle from the part 0 position as well, no luck. It will start to move for a second then error out.......very frustrating.

can you move with the jog button

After a little more investigation, your kinda right, if I try to run a program from the machines home position, it will crap out, but if i jog everything into the center, then start the cycle, it seems to work fine. I use Mastercam to make the files and during each tool change it sends the machine to the home position, i modified it a little bit so it the x and y dont go all the way home. Then when I press cycle start after the tool change, everything works fine. Its kinda weird that it would do that. Still waiting for centroid to call me anyway, id like to discuss it with them.

it sounds like they use a home position much like a fadal were you define the home it not from a G52 machine home location well best of luck to you