587,920 active members*
3,589 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > How to program this part?

How to program this part?

Hi guys. Need a bit of help on this part. It's an oval 5" long. Due to machine restrictions I have to stand this part on edge and mill the radii with a .750 endmill for roughing then a .500 ballnose to finish. The .750 endmill has a max cut depth of .020, cut rate of 96ipm and spindle speed of 2000.
    I remember a Z level cut was talked about before but can't find the thread. Can anyone show how cut this? Thanks again guys.

like this?

Thanks for the reply JEST. I looked at that set up at first but am concerned with 5" plus tool stick out and flex. I do like the fact that your set up has a 33 minute cut time!! Attached is the way I have to do the set up to allow for shorter tools. The top hemisphere will be cut then the part flipped to do the other side.
    I tried to do this but I can't get the face to extend to allow the tool to go off-part. If I make a bigger boundary the tool wants to go around to the flats of the part. Also for all intents and purposes the chamfers can be ignored (don't even remember if I took it out of this part or not).

Why not cut your model in half and then program it?

I downloaded to look at your setup... I got nothing but the part... No stock, paths... Only real dif from the solid model is now a Haas machine is defined.???

Here is the model with stock. I thought I had included the stock in my previous post. Sorry.

If I was to run a mill along the sides to get rid of excess material would BobCam know it would not have to mill off the missing material? I have done a bunch of simulations using Zlevel rough and splicing but can't get a good time. The best I have so far is Four+ hours. It looks like it's trying to recut missing material.

Thanks for the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
    If I was to run a mill along the sides to get rid of excess material would BobCam know it would not have to mill off the missing material? I have done a bunch of simulations using Zlevel rough and splicing but can't get a good time. The best I have so far is Four+ hours. It looks like it's trying to recut missing material.

Thanks for the help guys.
    You mean mill it off "before" running any toolpath? You would have to define the stock with the missing material.

damn suddenlink internet!!

Try this
    Otherwise, I am with BurrMan. Draw the geometry for a quick n dirty rough cut.