587,331 active members*
3,200 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser to cut paper tubing

I'm in the early planning stages of a purpose built machine to laser cut slots in paper tubing made from kraft paper. The wall thickness of the tubing is .050" or less.

I have zero experience with laser cutters but I've built a CNC router so I have the mechanics of how everything goes together but the laser and optics.

I need opinions as to what wattage laser I need, and a recommended source for optics and mirrors..

Re: Laser to cut paper tubing

You probably could use a laser diode to cut paper. You will need some way to exhaust the fumes on an open CNC router. if not it will smell bad like burning paper.
    Depending on the diameter of the tube you might have issues with the cut from one side burning the inside surface,and the potential of fire. So you might have to put the paper over a mandrel that doesn't burn or melt.
    you will also need a compressed air source that is directed on the cut to reduce the potential of fire, however that air source will tend to blow the paper around. and you also need an A axis. Good luck

Re: Laser to cut paper tubing

That's what I was wondering, if a diode could cut through the .050" thick material and if not, what wattage laser I need. I'm not going to use my CNC router although that would be the easiest because I already have an A axis setup for it. I want to enclose it to provide eye protection and easy collection of the smoke. I can use an aluminum mandrel if needed.

No worries on the compressed air blowing the paper around, it is .050" thick cardboard tubing that regularly exceeds mach airspeeds. Rocket airframe tubing. I'm currently slotting it with my CNC router, but no matter what bit I use there is always fuzz, so I want to go to something cleaner.

Thanks for the input.