587,450 active members*
3,802 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Tutorials in readable form

Tutorials in readable form

A note to the Tormach folks,

This is not meant to be critical. For the average user the video tutorials are probably great but for a guy like me they do not work because of the type of hearing loss that I have. So I am wondering if there is a set of written/illustrated tutorials similar to the ones that were used at the CNC workshop at Ann Arbor, Michigan. this works great for me. As I read over the forum topics I notice that some people have problems with say flatlands and others have no problem with them. Having said that it leads to the conclusion we are all different in our abilities to understand different things. So if there were written tutorials for each basic Sprutcam area it would make it much easier for me for sure and maybe for others as well. When I say written I don't mean paper; it could be a down loadable file. I have dual monitors in service now and I could have the tutorial on one screen and Spuutcam on the other screen and work my way through it maybe multiple times until I "master" that phase.

I would like to travel to the Tormach headquarters for the class but due to the expense and the fact that I cannot leave my wife alone, the above would be a great alternative. So if you folks would consider such a move I am willing to pay a reasonable price for the service.

Thanks,

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieD View Post
    A note to the Tormach folks,

This is not meant to be critical. For the average user the video tutorials are probably great but for a guy like me they do not work because of the type of hearing loss that I have. So I am wondering if there is a set of written/illustrated tutorials similar to the ones that were used at the CNC workshop at Ann Arbor, Michigan. this works great for me. As I read over the forum topics I notice that some people have problems with say flatlands and others have no problem with them. Having said that it leads to the conclusion we are all different in our abilities to understand different things. So if there were written tutorials for each basic Sprutcam area it would make it much easier for me for sure and maybe for others as well. When I say written I don't mean paper; it could be a down loadable file. I have dual monitors in service now and I could have the tutorial on one screen and Spuutcam on the other screen and work my way through it maybe multiple times until I "master" that phase.

I would like to travel to the Tormach headquarters for the class but due to the expense and the fact that I cannot leave my wife alone, the above would be a great alternative. So if you folks would consider such a move I am willing to pay a reasonable price for the service.

Thanks,

Ernie
    Ernie,

Have you seen this:

http://support.google.com/youtube/bi...&guide=2734661

about YouTube captions and transcriptions? Apparently it requires some cooperation from the video uploader, but perhaps Tormach (or SprutCAMAmerica) could assist.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieD View Post
    I have dual monitors in service now and I could have the tutorial on one screen and Spuutcam on the other screen and work my way through it maybe multiple times until I "master" that phase.
    Ditto. This is 75% of the reason I just got a new (additional) video card and (additional) monitor.

I also got a Chromebook for Christmas from my Sweety. I'll play (and stop and pause and rewind) the video on the Chromebook while I have Sprutcam up on my desktop machine. Works great, I'm just running out of horizontal surface.

-Mark

Mike,

I looked this over and I think it will not work for me. I just want instructions in print so that I can learn as I go. When you get these guys who make the videos and keep waving the cursor around or rotating and or zooming the workpiece, it drives me nuts. Anytime that there is any kind of distraction when I am concentrating on listening to a video, this also drives me nuts. hearing loss really sucks. I get angry with the guy that made the video and then I say to myself " Ernie he does'nt know that you cannot understand", If I had instructions in print I could only get angry with myself.

Ernie

Ernie,
    Have you googled for "voice recognition" software? If there is any out there, you could record the video sound track onto a stand alone device, then play that back to the PC running that recognition program.

Ernie,
    Another idea would be to ask in this forum for volunteers who could summarise one or more tutorials for you. Then you could nominate particular tuts to each volunteer.

The Tormach tuts are not that long and the audio can be abbreviated significantly. And the level of expertise in this forum is such that many guys could write the sequence of steps for many of the topics without watching the tuts.

Anyway I volunteer to do one or two Tormach tuts per week. Private email me.

Bevin

Quote Originally Posted by bevinp View Post
    Ernie,
    Have you googled for "voice recognition" software? If there is any out there, you could record the video sound track onto a stand alone device, then play that back to the PC running that recognition program.
    Dragon Speaking seems to have this functionality:

http://www.nuance.com/for-individual...view/index.htm

and

http://www.nuance.com/for-individual...lity/index.htm

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the reply but I am 80 years old and have reached a point in my life where I do not want to mess with stuff like this. If Sprutcam had put out a meaningful written manual in the first place I probably would not have been posting here.

Ernie

I too pretty much hate videos for learning or most anything else... A real book is best, but a pdf would be my second choice. I learn by taking a printout to the shop and make notes as I go. I don't have time to watch some bozo take 30 minutes to explain something that takes a couple minutes to read.

Robert