587,553 active members*
3,153 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PLUNGE MILLING

Hello all I was wondering if anyone has used a plunge mill toolpath in mastercam specifically the one in rough surface ? I have mastercam x 6 and i used it defined my tool and i even put out a decent toolpath one problem iscar plunge mill cutter says to move horizonataly at the bottom of the plunge stroke 45 degrees and move .020 then go up to the top of the part and proceed to the next plunge point. My question is where do you input the 45 degree and minimum movement of .020 ?I was hoping this is a common newbie question for using plunge mill cutters with mastercam and any and all help is greatly appreciated

lexa345 Guest
    Like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ??????????.jpg   ??????????1.jpg  

Ok Lexa is showing the Direction option Thank you sir. here it is in English. .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plunge dirt.jpg  
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

ok related question how do I blow up the thumbnail to see it ?

Another method - if the plunge points &/or withdraw direction is not uniform

- using the 2D/3D Contour strategy is to place a line from the top of stock to the depth, & have a small 45° x 0.02" long "tick" at the bottom ( all drawn manually )(
    - this contour is done using a 3D contour cut-type, plungerate is used to get to the start of contour, cutting feedrate is done using the XY feedrate, & rapid retract back to the top.

I have used just the "tick" component at times, just be careful with the top of stock and not to use incremental settongs

This is nearly a drill cycle, but you define cutters, not drills

Quote Originally Posted by dcutler35 View Post
    ok related question how do I blow up the thumbnail to see it ?
    Pick the Thumbnail it will get bigger.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

SuperMan does this mean you draw a line to the bottom of the plunge for every entry point of the plunge ? that would talk a while wouldnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by dcutler35 View Post
    SuperMan does this mean you draw a line to the bottom of the plunge for every entry point of the plunge ? that would talk a while wouldnt it?

I mentioned just using the lower line conponent, alter the Z level on the line's retract endpoint ( prolly put a point on the plunge end of the line) , then I'd Xform it to where I want my plunges to occur, I could select the order in how I want it done, omit others.

Yes, you have to have your brain turned on, but it is a method for doing odd shapes, knocking off corners, roughing just a cutout
    - than having to try & alter each & every parameters to get the perfect pattern for your particular shape