587,518 active members*
3,500 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Easy/free 2D motion modeling?

Easy/free 2D motion modeling?

I'm looking for a simple/free program that can do basic 2D motion modeling. (IOW, various solid parts held together with pin-type joints that can rotate. All pins would be perpendicular to the 2D plain of view. Does not need to support gears, flexible parts, collision detection, or anything complex.) I just want something that I can visualize moving a piece and observe how all the other pieces move in response across a range of motion.

Any suggestions on a program that can do this? (I'm kind of a newb at modern CAD programs. Free free to assume I'm not fluent in anything that wasn't part of early-90's main frame CAD programs I used in college. I won't be insulted if you talk simple to me.) If it isn't obvious to a newb, please mention the tools that the software package uses to accomplish this. (E.G. MadeUpCAD can do this if you go to the Tools->Motion Simulator applet.) I might already have a program that can do it, but haven't located the correct way to do this.

FWIW, I'm looking for the same functionality of an old-school cardboard cut-out put together with brads to act as pin-joints. (I just want to be able to modify parts quickly, rather than having to make new cardboard parts on every iteration)

Quote Originally Posted by SvdSinner View Post
    I'm looking for a simple/free program that can do basic 2D motion modeling. (IOW, various solid parts held together with pin-type joints that can rotate. All pins would be perpendicular to the 2D plain of view. Does not need to support gears, flexible parts, collision detection, or anything complex.) I just want something that I can visualize moving a piece and observe how all the other pieces move in response across a range of motion.

Any suggestions on a program that can do this? (I'm kind of a newb at modern CAD programs. Free free to assume I'm not fluent in anything that wasn't part of early-90's main frame CAD programs I used in college. I won't be insulted if you talk simple to me.) If it isn't obvious to a newb, please mention the tools that the software package uses to accomplish this. (E.G. MadeUpCAD can do this if you go to the Tools->Motion Simulator applet.) I might already have a program that can do it, but haven't located the correct way to do this.

FWIW, I'm looking for the same functionality of an old-school cardboard cut-out put together with brads to act as pin-joints. (I just want to be able to modify parts quickly, rather than having to make new cardboard parts on every iteration)
    Kindof a conundrum you are asking for... Free and easy..

What it seems you are requiring is whats called "inverse Kinematics". This is setup with "Bones" that attach to your drawing... When you move a "bone" all the other parts will move accordingly.. Like an arm. If you grab the tip of my finger, there can be six pivot points that move and change as you tug.

Simple free stuff may not do what you want (Also may, if you want simple)

The stuff that will do inverse kinematics well wont be easy, and most likely not be free. Blender may do it... I dont know it very well though..

If that is not what you meant and you just wanted to create simple animations of sketch movement, you can look at alot of different tools to do that... K-Sketch is free and you can animate simple sketches with it...

Anyway, thought I would throw out 2 cents.

I think 3dMax can do the job