587,881 active members*
4,097 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: New machine

New machine

This is a machine I was asked to build recently, it uses Bosch Rexroth extrusions, 1/2" aluminum plate and 20mm polypropylene (reinforced with 1/4" aluminum plate). Ballscrews on all axis (10mm lead on X and Y, 5mm lead on Z). The spindle is a Bosch Colt with stepdown transformer (220V here) and precision collets. It's intended mostly for 3D wood carving, signmaking and related work. Work area is 1000 x 600 x 80 mm.

Next machine will be made of steel :banana:

Very nice looking design Walky. I like the clean top side area with no surrounding obstructions in the way of placing project materials or changing the cutters.

One minor suggestion. I recommend that you consider installing a piece of appropriate size angle steel or aluminum (even plastic) against the edges of the MDF above the long axis round rail flange so that it makes a cover over the round rail but doesn't rub the gantry supports. Most flying debris that escapes the dust shoe (?) will go out past the rails and only the very light dust will settle on the rails. Install it so that the angle one flat side projects outward from the MDF at spoilboard level and the other flat side points downward toward the floor. It will lessen the need for scrubbers around the rails to keep them clean.

Will the steel machine be the same size and design?
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

CarveOne, thanks for the suggestion, in fact I suggested the same to the owner (a long brush strip or small aluminum angle at each side). I will take this into consideration for my designs from now on.

The table itself is made of 3 sub-tables, so part of it can be removed and replaced with special fixtures/clamp systems depending on what the owner needs to do (this remembers me that I have to send him the table plans). BTW, each table section is mounted by four 5mm t-slot nuts, and has twelve holes with 1/4" "t-nuts" (the kind that has teeth, nothing to do with the extrusion's t-nuts) for material holding; the latter are placed between both MDF sheets before gluing them together, so they're closer to the surface and can't fall down.

The steel machine will be a completely different design, based on steel tubing for the gantry and base, and laser-cut steel for the gantry sides (and probably for the Z axis, too). The spacing between bearing blocks will be greater and it's likely that both X and Y rails will be 20mm instead of 16mm. It'll also have a chinese 1.5kW water cooled spindle paired with a Mitsubishi VFD. The effective working volume (I don't know why we're so used to say "area", that poor Z axis always gets neglected ) will be close but not the same (800 x 800 x 80mm).

The cross was made with a 1/4" shank, 1/16" tip tapered bit, the calendar was made with a 1/8" shank, 45º engraving bit and took about 45 minutes. The cross took much less to complete, but can't remember exactly how long. Both are about 150mm high.

Wow!

Your machines are looking better and better every time!
    That's a Very Nice and Impressive design!

So the Colt runs well with just a simple step-down transformer? I
    recall someone asking about that once.

Great Work!

John

The Aztec Sun Stone Calendar is inverse. The V should be flat top, not recessed. Very crisp cuts though.
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by microcarve View Post
    Wow!

Your machines are looking better and better every time!
    That's a Very Nice and Impressive design!

So the Colt runs well with just a simple step-down transformer? I
    recall someone asking about that once.

Great Work!

John
    Thanks!

The Colt runs on an 1000W autotransformer, it hasn't seen a full-speed stress test but it should be OK (the Colt, transformer and accessories were provided by the machine's owner). I'm amazed at how light and quiet the router is.

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    The Aztec Sun Stone Calendar is inverse. The V should be flat top, not recessed. Very crisp cuts though.
    Yeah, I was doubtful about what was the real orientation supposed to be (didn't really think about it until the job was already running), but damn, it looks cool anyway!

I guess the inverse would have taken a little longer to complete because of the extra area clearance.

The owner was very kind and sent me a link to a video he made of the engraving process:

Nice machine Walky, looks like a solid design without being overly complex. I really like how you have all the wiring connections coming out the back with the connectors. Very Slick!!