587,657 active members*
3,335 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Components case...?

Hi,

I'm new to cnc and have recently bought a machine from gio666.
    From what i've read in the past most people mount their powersupply and driver board in a seperate case from their pc...?

Anybody know of a good resource for a cheap case or making their own?

Or is it okay to mount it all in your pc case too?

My PC, drives, and power supply are mounted in an MDF box attached to the side of my router. It's got 4 fans, and uses automotive air filters to keep it clean.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

i was hoping to just throw everything into my pc case since it already has a slot i can mount the power supply into, the gecko drive i would mount in the side panel and then run a fan or two on each side of the case, blowing through....thoughts?

Pictures of other users setups would be very helpful...

thx

Quote Originally Posted by airbrush View Post
    i was hoping to just throw everything into my pc case since it already has a slot i can mount the power supply into, the gecko drive i would mount in the side panel and then run a fan or two on each side of the case, blowing through....thoughts?

Pictures of other users setups would be very helpful...

thx
    There's a few companies out there that make integrated controller/cpu cases... so I don't see it being a problem.. unless of course, you need to service your PC..

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    There's a few companies out there that make integrated controller/cpu cases... so I don't see it being a problem.. unless of course, you need to service your PC..
    servicing isn't a problem, i build my own pc's i was just more concerned if it would cause a problem with electronics or interference with the drivers somehow...?
    it just seems more convenient to throw everything into one box and is simple to hook up additional fans to the existing pc power supply.

My two cents worth...my gecko 540 with dual fans, power supply, and smoothstepper board are in a second (formerly empty) computer case next to my pc in a MDF cabinet that has two vent holes covered with filter material. The gecko puts out quite a lot of heat, and while you mention adding two fans, I still would be concerned at jamming everything that close together. Also, if your PC dies (that never happens, right?), you will have to go to a lot of trouble to get your system back together.

Quote Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
    My two cents worth...my gecko 549 with dual fans, power supply, and smoothstepper board are in a second (formerly empty) computer case next to my pc in a MDF cabinet that has two vent holes covered with filter material. The gecko puts out quite a lot of heat, and while you mention adding two fans, I still would be concerned at jamming everything that close together. Also, if your PC dies (that never happens, right?), you will have to go to a lot of trouble to get your system back together.
    what were you running the extra case fans off of as most of them are 12v...if i threw everything in one case the extra fans would simply plug into the existing case supply...just trying to keep everything neat and tidy and not take up a lot of room.

Quote Originally Posted by airbrush View Post
    what were you running the extra case fans off of as most of them are 12v...if i threw everything in one case the extra fans would simply plug into the existing case supply...just trying to keep everything neat and tidy and not take up a lot of room.
    My fans are 110v (originally for a home theater system), so I just run them off of a power strip.