587,300 active members*
3,599 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

newbie needs help on lg500 laser

Just starting out with a used lg500 60w unit. Unit was working with previous owners computer. Loaded software on my computer--laser 5.0 and coraldraw 9-- Clicking on laser 5.0 icon brings up a startup window that has some text that I cannot read and a run button. Clicking the run button the window disappears and nothing else happens-program never starts up.
    Computer has a PCI card installed w/cable going to laser, using windows xp os.
    Also does anyone know if this unit is capable of being upgraded with any hardware/ software?

Thanks,
    Rick

Hiya Rick,

Note down the text and stick it into Google translate...it may be an error message...

Right click the shortcut to "Laser 5.0" and select "Run as administrator"

lets see what happens from there.

best wishes

Dave

Cool

Dave,
    Thanks for the info. By changing admin, the window now shows "c:\lasercut50\lasercut50.exe" (on the first line) and then on the second line "the parameter is incorrect" I just now looked at the files on the cd that came with the unit, but I cannot find a file marked .exe nor do I see any zipped files that did not open when loading the program. Looked at the dogkey, but two computers wont even find the scandisk little alone show any files on it.
    Any ideas now?

Rick

P.S. Just looked at the files on a laptop and found the exe. file in the lasercut50 file folder(wont show file extension in XP) The file size shown on both computers is the same. I lost the dogkey and had to get another one from china. Is it possible the dogkey is messing things up?

Hiya Rick,

Its possible the hardlock (dongle) doesn't match the version of the program that is installed.

I'd re-install the software to start and lets see how we go from there

best wishes

Dave

Hi Rick, when you plug the soft dog / dongle in to a computer does it say found new hardware? You won't be able to see the dongle or what's on it. what normally happens is that when you load the software onto a pc it load the drivers for the softdog / dongle, so which ever USB you plug it into the drivers load from the pc. The software normally runs without the softdog ( you just can't save or download to the machine). To upgrade would mean changing the mother board....... I may have a copy of lasercut 5.0 if yours won't run, maybe worth a go. If you need it let me know.
    Cheers Simon

Simon, thanks for the info and after I plugged the softkey into a different usb port the os found it. I have tried to install this program by the manual (as poor as it is), reinstalled it 3 times and erased it and reinstalled two other times. At one point in this mess, I got a message that it could not run the lasercut50.exe because it could not find the mpc03 file, BUT the mpc file is in the laser file folder, although I have run the setup for the mpc driver. Also if I go to the windows install/remove programs, it DOES NOT find the lasercut program at all.
    Would you, or anybody else, know if I can upgrade to a newer version (5.1/5.2/5.3)with or without replacing the PCI card. I am willing to change it if is worth the cost and help in the learning curve.
    Now I am wondering if I am screwing up the install process or is it a bad cd?
    If you do have the cd, I would like to try it, if possible.

Hi Rick
    To uninstall just goto my comp / c: drive there should be a lasercut folder, just delete it and del desktop icon. To install don't plug anything in just run the setup exe load on the software ( succeed in install ) , then plug in the soft dog / dongle the pc should pick it up and load the drivers. If so far so good then plug the laser in. Pc should find new hardware, send it to the cd. And all should run and work just fine! but things never seem to go that way..... You'll have to change the mother board to upgrade I'm affraid.... Like I said I have lasercut 5.0 kicking around that I could email....
    Cheers Simon

Simon,
    Uninstalled icon and lasercut folder (again)and followed your steps as they are a little different than the manual, but same results--errors out after clicking on lasercut icon. I'll list the steps i took to load program.

1)removed previous copy of program and pci card from computer mother board.
    2)disk will not start install on it's own, so I ran the setup file and it allows you to select "edition type" which per the manual should be "lasercut50" and also the install path of "lasercut50". Clicking Setup it copies files and goes and installs dogfile, even if the dogkey is in the usb port or not.(was not) Then the window comes up that "install succeed".
    3)Install pci card back into computer, connect cable to laser, plug in dogkey to usb port and restart computer.
    4)computer finds new hardware, but is unable to complete the installation, wants to know where to find driver? manual said this will happen and is normal??
    5) device manager shows "stepservo motion control device" (the pci card) with the driver and "working properly".
    6) run the "granddog" install file (with dogkey in usb port) clicked on install driver and it states that "the driver has been installed successfully"
    7) clicking on lasercut icon still brings up a window that states
    c:\lasercut50\lasercut50.exe (on top line)
    The parameter is incorrect. (on the second line)
    clicking on the "ok" and back to opening screen.
    Software problem or operator beening a dummy?
    When you say the mother board would need to replaced to do any upgrade, are you referring to the PCI controller board or the computer mb? I assume (bad thing to do) you mean PCI.
    From what I have read on cnc forum can the cost for a new pci card and a new software package, like mach3 be justified? (and work with this unit)
    Thanks again,
    Rick

Hi Rick,
    When the pc asks for the pci drivers you do send it to the cd to look for them? sorry yes I do mean the pci not the pcs motherboard. Would it be possible for you to post/send me a pic of your pci and softdog. To upgrade could set you back about £400.
    Cheers Simon

Simon,
    On this last "install" the setup program did it's thing and after it was finished I looked at the files in the lasercut file folder and the mpc03 files where copied. When I look at the device manager, it shows the mpc03 card installed and working correctly.
    The softdog is just the standard scandrive w/usb. Has the letters "WHCX-LASER" in one side and nothing on the other.
    Will attach pix of PCI board.
    Any other thoughts?
    Any recommendations for makes of hardware/software upgrade? this thing is going to drive me http://www.cnczone.com/forums/images...s/asthanos.gif

Thanks again,
    Rick
    Tried to attach pix, but after 30min, system would not do it. Will send email, if have address.

Hi Rick,

I am afraid you need a new Lasercut 5.0 software. Then can you tell me what is the color of your software dongle? Maybe you can send a picture to me [email protected] . Then i can try to send a new software to you.

Betty

Betty,
    Thanks for the offer, but I just got my copy working today. I found the original softkey, last night by accident, and thankfully the program loaded up and appears to be working. Anyone need ver 5.3? Manufacturer emailed me a copy, but, after two days of trying, it will not start up. Would like to use it, if it is possible and compatible with my unit.
    Now for two NEW problems.
    1st) the manual shows the following icons in the coreldraw program(upper right side)--LASER OUTPUT/IMPORT DST FILE/EXPORT FILE/OPTIONS--.
    I'm using ver 9 of corel--should I be able to get/import these icons or is this only on later versions?

2nd) and far more major, There is no laser beam being emitted. The tube(60w) lights up internally, the amp meter on the cabinet front shows 14ma at 50% power and 24ma at 90% power. Placing a piece of post it paper over the 1st mirror, the paper never even gets warm, little alone burn.
    Looks like have a bad tube to me, but anything else I can try to make sure?
    Thanks,
    Rick

I know this is a daft question my friend but you don't have the transit cap on the end of the tube do you?

best wishes

Dave

Dave,
    Sorry to say, no such luck. I got the unit used and was told it was working???
    Rick

Have a look at the right hand end of the tube Rick, looking directly at it does there seem to be any cracking on the mirror inside the tube? (you will only be able to see the back of the mirror),

Also have a look into the output end of the tube and see if there is any muck on the output coupler or any signs of damage?

I'd be leaning towards the internal mirror being knackered as you are getting fire but no beam from the coupler.

best wishes

Dave

Rick,

1) yes, you should to get/import these icons.
    2) Your 60W laser tube is broken. You need to change a new laser tube.

Betty

Dave,
    As best that i can tell, not having seen the mirror new or in normal condition, the mirror looks ok. The metal ring (I believe is the cathode) on the right side has a much brighter blue hase inside of it and at the angle the I am able to look into it, it appears to have a blue line approx 3/8 inch long inside of it.
    Guess I'll be ordering a new tube A.S.A.P.
    I also sent the factory in china a pix of the PCI card and they are stating that lasercut 5.3 will work. Only problem, cannot get ver 5.3 to come up. I'am using white dogkey, believing it to be the correct one. Ver 5.0 is blue.
    Thus far I have not found a "manual" file in the download the factory sent me for ver 5.3. Any ideas of any place on the web I could locate one?
    Thanks,
    Rick

drop me a mail direct Rick and I'll send you the manual by return

You may need a mirror to check the coupler lens, (may sound silly but not with the machine switched on of course ) look for a line across the lens

I'm leaning toward a knackered tube but having said that tubes rarely just die for no reason so best to rule out anything else before bunging another tube in

best wishes

Dave

[email protected]

Hi Rick,

Have you solved this probelm now? I think you d better to take a video or a pic to me?

Then i could send you new software or know your exactly problem.