587,172 active members*
3,058 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Problem with iMachining and Tormach

Problem with iMachining and Tormach

Hello everybody, I am having trouble running iMachining on Tormach PCNC. I have started trail version of SolidCAM and there is something wrong with the iMachining operations generated G code. There are very small arc segments with different feed rates one next to other and at these regions Mach3 starts to jitter and lags. Have anyone succeeded to run iMachining on Tormach? I have read on other thread the very similar problem Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Mach3 hesitation with iMachining.. but it never wrote the solution just mystic change in post-processor. If anyone have any idea on this issue please let me know as this would be nice to test iMachining on Tormach.

Re: Problem with iMachining and Tormach

I run iMachining all the time under Mach3. It's not a Tormach, but same controller. I have no issues at all. Its smooth and fast. Make sure your in constant velocity and not exact stop.
    www.benchtopprecision.com
    | BF20/G0704 Belt Drive Kits | X2 Mini-Mill Belt Drive Kits |

Yes I am on constant velocity G64. Can you test my code on your machine to air cut and let me know have you notice the jitter in corners. I attached the code in my first post.

When I was writing software that produced G code with very small motions I had this issue as well with the version of Mach3 that comes with Tormach. After some research I discovered that the version I had had a bug in it, and I ended up using version 3.043.062 which worked. I don't remember the details of how, I just know it was a real pain in the ass importing all the default Tormach settings for acceleration, dwell, etc. You don't want your machine running hotter than the factory recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by GJeff View Post
    When I was writing software that produced G code with very small motions I had this issue as well with the version of Mach3 that comes with Tormach. After some research I discovered that the version I had had a bug in it, and I ended up using version 3.043.062 which worked. I don't remember the details of how, I just know it was a real pain in the ass importing all the default Tormach settings for acceleration, dwell, etc. You don't want your machine running hotter than the factory recommendations.
    Mach3 settings will have almost zero effect on motor temperature. That is almost entirely a function of the current reduction performed by the motor drivers, and, to a much lesser extent, the motor load.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I don't think he means literally hotter in temperature. I think he means hotter as in faster in speeds.
    www.benchtopprecision.com
    | BF20/G0704 Belt Drive Kits | X2 Mini-Mill Belt Drive Kits |

Yeah, was being figurative Velocity and acceleration. I think I've heard people say that the limits Tormach puts on their machines are conservative, but it's still better to be safe than sorry unless you are taking the risk of damaging or significantly lowering the life span of your parts by exceeding them.

OK so you are saying that Mach3 version R3.042.039 on Trormach has bug? Is there a simple way of updating the software? How about Tormach license is there any problems with updating?

Yes, specifically where you can't get constant velocity to work right.

According to this it's not hard Upgrading to latest version of Mach 3 but I remember it being a pain in the ass for some reason.
    I think it voids your Tormach warranty if you do it, so be aware of that.