587,775 active members*
2,885 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Looking for a $2k-3k laser cutter

Hi there,

No very familiar with laser cutting and would appreciate some advices to help me finding the right machine for my needs. There is lot of Asian machines on ebay but don't know which one is right for me.

Here is what a I want to do:

-precisely cut hardwood max 16mm thick
    -precisely cut leather max 5mm thick
    -Engrave leather / hardwood / metal
    -work area = not less than 200mm x 300mm, bigger will be better if possible
    -I need a reliable machine working out of the box, turn key package.
    -works with autocad

Willing to buy a used good working machine too.

Cheers
    petecul

The only one that would be difficult would be the 15mm hard wood. Due to the nature of how the laser cuts. You may be able to get that thickness if you do multiple passes. What is the closest big city to you, I can get you some information.

Hi bpoulin,

I am located near Montreal, Canada
    thanks

You wont find a machine to do all that for that price , in fact you just wont find a machine to do what you want new or 2nd hand. You need to modify your needs or expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gold View Post
    You wont find a machine to do all that for that price , in fact you just wont find a machine to do what you want new or 2nd hand. You need to modify your needs or expectations
    well, here are revised needs:

-precisely cut hardwood max 10MM THICK ON A SINGLE PASS.
    -works with autocad
    -BUDGET: MAX $$3500!

Is there any machine out there that can fulfill those needs? Where else I should do compromise if still they are no machine that fit my needs ? As every body, I want big stuff at small price but one thing is sure I don't want to sacrifice reliability and precision.

Thanks
    petecul

Quote Originally Posted by petecul View Post
    well, here are revised needs:

-precisely cut hardwood max 10MM THICK ON A SINGLE PASS.
    -works with autocad
    -BUDGET: MAX $$3500!

Is there any machine out there that can fulfill those needs? Where else I should do compromise if still they are no machine that fit my needs ? As every body, I want big stuff at small price but one thing is sure I don't want to sacrifice reliability and precision.

Thanks
    petecul
    If you want to cut hardwood that thick you will need 80w minimum and a long focal length, 2.5" lens should do the trick. The only other issue is engraving metal. If you want a laser that can etch metal you need a YAG laser. A CO2 laser can etch on metal if you use a special paste or spray. Look into a product called Thermark, you spray it on, then use the laser to etch. It turns a nice black color and is permanent. I understand wanting big stuff at a small price, I'm the same way. However your budget is on the small end, I know I can't get you an 80w at that price, I can probably get the 40w at that price, but It won't cut more than 5-6mm and cutting that thick with a 40w will be very slow, 1-3mm/sec.

Honestly I could sell you on a 40w but you would not be happy with the performance. For your needs I would say your best option is save a little more, and go with an 80w laser.

Good luck with trying to laser cut 10mm hardwood in one pass , you gonna need 250 watts for that and maybe more. A laser is not the right tool for cutting thick wood anyway , tho there are machines that will do so , specifically those that cut die board which have 2 tubes firing from the top and the bottom of the piece , but those are WAY more than 3.5k. I have a 80w Reci tubed laser as well as a cheaper glass tubed 60w , they cant even do 6mm plywood without unnaceptable charring.. 10mm hardwood is way more difficult.
    My 80w Reci CAN however mark stainless steel without coatings , but is excruciatingly slow in doing so.

I can assure you that if there was a laser out there that could do all you want at that price or even double that , it would be flying off the factory floor.
    None of the cheaper chinese machines in your price range are really turnkey , if you get from a chinese factory , expect a lot of "fixing" and "workarounds" and you will need a LOT of spares when ordering *tube , tube power supply, motherboard , lenses , mirrors , stepper motor , belts*. Its possibile to get a 500 x 300 or even bigger with a 60w cheaper glass tube for the money , maybe even a 80w/100w *I think the RECI tubes will exceed the budget* however you will only be able to maybe cut 6mm MDF, mark on metals with compounds , barely get thru 5mm leather etc with these. It depends what your main applications are whether a laser is the answer , if its cutting thick wood and leather , it isn't an option at your price point.

Good luck with trying to laser cut 10mm hardwood in one pass , you gonna need 250 watts for that and maybe more. A laser is not the right tool for cutting thick wood anyway , tho there are machines that will do so , specifically those that cut die board which have 2 tubes firing from the top and the bottom of the piece , but those are WAY more than 3.5k. I have a 80w Reci tubed laser as well as a cheaper glass tubed 60w , they cant even do 6mm plywood without unnaceptable charring.. 10mm hardwood is way more difficult.
    My 80w Reci CAN however mark stainless steel without coatings , but is excruciatingly slow in doing so.

I can assure you that if there was a laser out there that could do all you want at that price or even double that , it would be flying off the factory floor.
    None of the cheaper chinese machines in your price range are really turnkey , if you get from a chinese factory , expect a lot of "fixing" and "workarounds" and you will need a LOT of spares when ordering *tube , tube power supply, motherboard , lenses , mirrors , stepper motor , belts*. Its possibile to get a 500 x 300 or even bigger with a 60w cheaper glass tube for the money , maybe even a 80w/100w *I think the RECI tubes will exceed the budget* however you will only be able to maybe cut 6mm MDF, mark on metals with compounds , barely get thru 5mm leather etc with these. It depends what your main applications are whether a laser is the answer , if its cutting thick wood and leather , it isn't an option at your price point.
    He's right, our machines have an 80w RECI tube, but it will be out of this price range. But that's about the minimum that will do what you want. There is a thread about the 150w RECI tube, ask him how well it cuts thicker wood.

BUDGET: MAX $$3500 ?
    No way.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

130w RECI tube is your best choice.
    it can cut your most thick wood. but also need more money!

because penny deserve its value!

mostly i agree with Rodney's idea.

Machine with Reci 80W can be within this price range, but i don't think it can cut 10mm thick wood well. Some thick wood are very hard to cut.

thanks Rodney,

I guess I have to redefine my needs for that machine. Cutting leather is the main idea of buying a laser, I should go for 100w t ocut leather 5mm thick and also review my budget for this machine.

thanks
    petecul

Quote Originally Posted by fly007001 View Post
    130w RECI tube is your best choice.
    it can cut your most thick wood. but also need more money!

because penny deserve its value!

mostly i agree with Rodney's idea.
    Thanks

I understand that my initial budget is low for that kind of power. Which machine should work for that and how much should i spend to get a reliable turnkey package?

Quote Originally Posted by petecul View Post
    Thanks

I understand that my initial budget is low for that kind of power. Which machine should work for that and how much should i spend to get a reliable turnkey package?
    They are all right. It can cut differ depths according to the materials. We often use acrylic as the standard, for example our 60w can cut acrylic 8-15mm, 80w can cut acrylic 20mm or more. As for the wood, according to the density, it is different. And CO2 laser machine can work on non-metal materials and coated-metal, couldn't work directly on metal.

Hope it would help. Our web: Liaocheng Xinxing Electronic Co., Ltd.

Salley
    [email protected] or [email protected]

Smile Hello,my friend

I suggest you MORN CNC router ( cnc engraving machine ) MT-C3636:

The metal CNC router can be used to make metal mould and wood mould, art craft,dial,3D word ,PCB, stamp, relieve ,and signs.

Particular style, competent for elaborate engraving and cutting.
    Structure: cabinet, convenient, durable
    Speed: quicker, 2-3 times faster than normal one.
    Design: human, easy operation
    Powerful: adapt for many fields.
    Economic: high quality with reasonable price, economic.

Machine body:
    whole cast iron or cast aluminum
    Work dimensions:
    330×330mm
    Z-axis working area
    45 or 60mm
    Max feeding height
    100mm or bigger
    Cut thickness of material
    ≤30mm
    Max. speed
    6000mm/min
    Working speed
    0-4000mm/min
    Mechanical precision
    0.01mm
    Software
    type3,Artcut,Artcam software
    Power
    1500W

For more details, please contact us without any hesitation.
    http://www.morntech.com/: Laser engraving machine , CNC router

hy i m the new owener of an laser engraver machine300*500 from shenhui laser i haven t started yet but because i must to go to buy some plug for europe standard s the machine look s ok until now what is trange for me is the model look like the york laser litle strange

and another problem i hope will not be sow seriously laser tube from machine have some smalll traces of sands i talked whit the seller and he told me they have maked some test first but i wonder what kind of water they used

today i hope i will go tu buy the plug adappter and to start for the first time my laser machine

Quote Originally Posted by Paulette View Post
    I suggest you MORN CNC router ( cnc engraving machine ) MT-C3636:

The metal CNC router can be used to make metal mould and wood mould, art craft,dial,3D word ,PCB, stamp, relieve ,and signs.

Particular style, competent for elaborate engraving and cutting.
    Structure: cabinet, convenient, durable
    Speed: quicker, 2-3 times faster than normal one.
    Design: human, easy operation
    Powerful: adapt for many fields.
    Economic: high quality with reasonable price, economic.

Machine body:
    whole cast iron or cast aluminum
    Work dimensions:
    330×330mm
    Z-axis working area
    45 or 60mm
    Max feeding height
    100mm or bigger
    Cut thickness of material
    ≤30mm
    Max. speed
    6000mm/min
    Working speed
    0-4000mm/min
    Mechanical precision
    0.01mm
    Software
    type3,Artcut,Artcam software
    Power
    1500W

For more details, please contact us without any hesitation.
    thanks paulette for your suggestion but i am really looking for a cnc laser to cut and engrave leather anf some wood.

Quote Originally Posted by lngczr View Post
    today i hope i will go tu buy the plug adappter and to start for the first time my laser machine
    sounds cool, let me know how the machine is going! which model do you have?

Page 1 of 2 12