587,259 active members*
3,269 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Harbor Freight Mill/Drill

I currently own a Jet Vertical Mill and an Industrial Hobbies mill. The Jet is a manual machine but the IH is CNC.

Harbor Freight's 20% off coupon will take this mill down to under $800 after tax.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=33686

Has anyone had any experience with this mill? ~$775 would be a great price for an experimental machine to convert to CNC. How good is the head and how good are the castings?

i have one similar to that and i'm converting it to cnc. going to give it a try. its not bad in terms of machining but resetting up the round column machines can take some time. however if you plan ahead its not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Runner4404spd
    but resetting up the round column machines can take some time. however if you plan ahead its not too bad.

I am in the process of building a dual linear slide to lock the rotation of my round column lathemaster. I'll post up pictures when I finish it up.

Owen

I've seen that machine in my local HF store. It isn't bad. I think it is a Rong Fu imitation. Not as good quality as Rong Fu, but adequate. It is quite a large machine though. The pictures don't nearly do it justice. I was shocked when I saw it in person. The sheer size of the thing.

Personally I would avoid it.....backlash......very existent.....

I think most would agree that a round column mill is not the best starting point for a cnc conversion. However if you already have a round column then that’s a different matter.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Zumba
    I currently own a Jet Vertical Mill and an Industrial Hobbies mill. The Jet is a manual machine but the IH is CNC.

Harbor Freight's 20% off coupon will take this mill down to under $800 after tax.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=33686

Has anyone had any experience with this mill? ~$775 would be a great price for an experimental machine to convert to CNC. How good is the head and how good are the castings?

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX
    Personally I would avoid it.....backlash......very existent.....

How is that really an issue though? Most people convert to ballscrews anyway; you'd be crazy not to.

Good point PeteZ28....missed that he was also going to CNC the HF...

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX
    Good point PeteZ28....missed that he was also going to CNC the HF...

Actually, I looked at that mill at my local HF and I didn't think backlash was entirely that bad, especially for a Chinese machine. I guess it's as others have said countless times on this board though; if it fits together it passes quality control

I was looking at this machine, and I noticed that they claim their dual lead screws are calibrated to "thousandths of an inch." How many thousandths?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47158

Are most of their machines junk, I have not heard any good things about them.

That is a Sieg X1 micro milling machine. It is not too bad actually. I saw it in person just a few days ago. I believe that one is graduated in .001 increments on the X and Y. I don't recall for the Z. Keep in mind though it is a very very small machine.