587,446 active members*
3,123 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Errant Remote EStop help?

Hey fellas.
    Problem I am having is I keep getting an errant Remote e-stop. It can happen any time cutting or not. Sometimes even if I move the mouse it will estop, without steppers running.

I am running a Campbell breakout board, 3 Larken drives. 70 DC power supply on an older bridgeport series one.

When my setup started doing this a while back I removed the circuitry I had going to the original Estop button and jumpered then pins. That seemed to fix it, but today I couldn't seem to get the thing working without Estoping

Its been a while since I set it up but as far as I can remember the board itself is not grounded. I am thinking I an getting some stray EMF from something.

How are you guys dealing with shielding? Are you using shielded wiring for everything? And are you grounding one end of the shield or both?

Thanks for any help.

Stephen

How and what is grounded on the machine? Only one end of shields should be grounded otherwise you are defeating shielding.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I have tried grounding just about everything. I have some wiring that isnt shielded. I just picked up some more shielded wire and will repalace anything that isnt shielded. I think the stepper wires are unshielded. The mill and the RPC are grounded through the 220V line.
    The shielded wire coming from the limits I had grounded at the control box. I didnt use shielded wire inside the control for step-dir.
    Im thinking its the breakout board that is sending the false EStop to the PC.Because of the "Remote".

I'm going to replace all of the stepper wire with shielded and all of the limit-step-dir that aren't as well. Hopefully that will correct the problem.

Are the DC supply wires of concern?

Thanks for the help

Stephen

Got er figured.

Quote Originally Posted by sdeering View Post
    Got er figured.
    Great!! A few words on HOW would be great also.

how did you figure out the e-stop when starting the spindle as that is what is happening on my machine right now. I can have only the Campbell board powered up and reset the button and as soon as I start the VFD, it triggers an E-stop. Tried moving the BOB away from the VFD but still happens. Any Ideas?
    YCM-40 converted from anilam to Mach3 and lovin it.

Hey sorry I haven't been on the board much lately.
    I don't have a VFD I use a RPC.
    My E-stop could happen at any time once the axis started moving.
    In my setup I have the BOB and 3 Cobra drives mounted in the same enclosure, an old PC case. I didn't have shielded wires on the step dir. wires going to the drives. I put shielded ones in and grounded one end and that seems to have fixed it. I also moved some of the DC wires as well. I would like to rebuild the whole works and keep things spaced, shielded wires on everything and even put steel shields between things to keep the EMF at bay.

Make sure you have everything grounded properly. Since it is VFD powered it probly gives off lots of EMF. Its been a while but I don't think Bobs board is grounded. It may ground through the printer port though. You could also try removing the E-stop to the BOB and jumper it that will tell you if that is where its coming from.

Hmm you say as soon as you turn on the VFD the Estop goes off. I take that's with the quill motor off?