587,837 active members*
3,848 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > How's the beta testing for V23 going?

How's the beta testing for V23 going?

Will we get a final version soon?

I can not believe the bugs I am dealing with. Hours and hours of my time wasted trying to work around glitches. I generated a Slice Planar toolpath that wasn't lining up well with the flipside. When I increased the tool size slightly, it decided to give me a small nick in one corner that I couldn't get rid of. Now I'm back to trying Equidistant Offset again. This time around I am getting a good finish.

On another part for the same job, the toolpath takes 15 minutes to process. (IBM 3.0 GHz, 2GB RAM) Fortunately, Build 1812 has a cancel button to stop toolpath generation. Unfortunately, it takes longer to stop it than it does to let it go all the way through.

I hope I don't lose this customer because I deliver their parts late.

Quote Originally Posted by Fadal Error View Post
    Will we get a final version soon?
    Fadal

Be very, very careful what you wish for, a "final" version of V23 would mean the next one would logically be V24 and that would be a PAY to upgrade :nono::nono::nono::nono:

For now we are all just updating for FREE and I for one am perfectly happy to carry on this way

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro::rainfro::rainfro:

OK. What I really meant was a working version. One that actually does its job. One that you can feel good paying money for. One that doesn't need to be reinstalled over and over. No nicking the part and scrapping it. No stalling out when generating toolpaths.

This software has blown my work off schedule every time I actually use it for its intended purpose. 99% of the time I still use V17. It's faster and simpler for anything that's not true 3D. But when I need to do 3D work, it would be nice to have functional software that I could rely on.:drowning:

Fadal

If you are doing any heavy 3D stuff then I would suggest you get some serious computer power, best will in the world once you start on the 3D stuff the resource requirements go through the roof !!

99% of the time it isn`t an issue here either but just now and again I regret not getting a more powerful PC as I have the same problems with 3D toolpath generation, takes forever and sometimes will appear to freeze for a while !

One thing I have done is remove one PC from Internet access and disabled or removed everything that tries to access the Internet routinely for things like automatic updates, these things can wreak havoc on lower resource systems as they usually decide to "do their thing" when you don`t want them to. On this machine any updates I do manually when I`m not running a big application like BC on 3D work Anti Virus software running in the background also uses large amount of resources, I only turn that on when doing the updates.

So far these things have helped quite a lot but I suppose I should bite the bullet and go buy/build something that really will do the job properly.
    I suppose like anything else the software has to have the "tools to do the job" which does mean more resources I`m afraid

Regards
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    Fadal

If you are doing any heavy 3D stuff then I would suggest you get some serious computer power, best will in the world once you start on the 3D stuff the resource requirements go through the roof !!

99% of the time it isn`t an issue here either but just now and again I regret not getting a more powerful PC as I have the same problems with 3D toolpath generation, takes forever and sometimes will appear to freeze for a while !

One thing I have done is remove one PC from Internet access and disabled or removed everything that tries to access the Internet routinely for things like automatic updates, these things can wreak havoc on lower resource systems as they usually decide to "do their thing" when you don`t want them to. On this machine any updates I do manually when I`m not running a big application like BC on 3D work Anti Virus software running in the background also uses large amount of resources, I only turn that on when doing the updates.

So far these things have helped quite a lot but I suppose I should bite the bullet and go buy/build something that really will do the job properly.
    I suppose like anything else the software has to have the "tools to do the job" which does mean more resources I`m afraid

Regards
    Rob
    I am working on exactly what you are saying. I have an older IBM with 3GHz processor and room for 4 GB of RAM. I have been running it with 2 GB, but I just bought some more. It isn't cheap (DDR because it is old). I disconnected it from the internet. Trouble is, I don't have time to mess with setting it up because I am running so far behind schedule. So I am sitting here watching my 2 GHz/ 2GB computer with the CPU running at 100% trying to generate a toolpath for close to 1/2 hour. Last week a similar toolpath with identical goemetry took 3 minutes. Unfortunately, the faces didn't match up well.

Well, I did have the same file corruption issue you reported last week, but so far only once. I am very happy with the speed of 1812, it seems much faster than the older versions. I run Win7 x64 with a Core2Duo E8500 processor at 3.16 GHz with 4 GB memory and a Quadro FX 4500 video card (bought off eBay for $120). I have not had any issues with tooling paths not lining up with one another.

Other than the one corrupted file, I have not had any issues lately. After that one got corrupted, I increased the number of backups to 5 hoping that one of the older ones will not be corrupted if it happens again (my single backup last time was corrupted too).

I got my faster computer up and running again. I tried running the same file and it stalls out while generating the tool path.

It's not the computer.

I got my faster computer up and running again. I tried running the same file and it stalls out while generating the tool path.

It's not the computer.
    If you want me to see if mine will generate it, send me your file to mike(at)mcpii(dot)com.

Also, I have found that sometimes I need to delete a CAM process and start over as it just won't go...

Finally, are you trying to compute all the toolpaths at once? This is VERY taxing... If you are, try doing them one at a time. After you get through them all, you can post (you never "have" to compute them all together).

I was able to get an Equidistant Offset toolpath. It took half of an hour or so to generate. The file is 117,000 lines. I am wondering why Eq Offset doesn't generate arcs. It just does line segments. I am cutting .003" at a time to get a good finish. The 1812 finish is much nicer than the 1493 finish.

You might try going to current settings in the cam tree and clicking on machining parameters and change tolerance.Even just changing to .001 should give quite an improvement to speed.I sometimes will use .002 or .003,and do not notice visually,anything that is detrimental on the part once I run it.It sure does make a huge difference on equal distance and slice planar.

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    You might try going to current settings in the cam tree and clicking on machining parameters and change tolerance.Even just changing to .001 should give quite an improvement to speed.I sometimes will use .002 or .003,and do not notice visually,anything that is detrimental on the part once I run it.It sure does make a huge difference on equal distance and slice planar.
    Good tip! I forgot about that setting. Thank you.

Bobcad on LSD. (chair)

Bobcad on LSD. (chair)
    That's Awesome! Looks like Fractals.