587,089 active members*
2,960 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

XYZ Tech Speed Control

I have acquired a XYZ tech 3030 CNC engraving machine which I have so far run a few programs, however I'm having problems with getting the spindle speed set, I input the speed within the program M3 S5000 but it only runs at 34K RPM, which is far too quick for a 24K RPM rated spindle. I have changed the Spindle Speed ratio and the Spindle Speed Grad

I have attached a picture of the speed control on the machine computer case, but I do not understand how to operate. Can anyone provide me with a user manual for this speed controller?

Marts

Attachment 298568

Re: XYZ Tech Speed Control

How do you know the spindle runs at 34k rpm? I'm betting that frequency drive puts out no more than 400 hz which will most likely be what the to speed of your spindle is 24k rpm. Does this have the handheld keypad chinese controller? if so it most likely is not capable of setting speed on the drive. You probably have to set the speed by the pot on the front of the controller, running it at 5k would not be advisable is that is way below its minimum speed which i think is around 9k.

Hi Xjdubber

I checked the speed with an optical tacho, it was originally running at 3600RPM which for an engraving bit is far too slow as you rightly stated, 9K would be better.

Yes it has a Chinese hand held controller, the machine is about 8 years old I believe.

Do you have any information on how to set the speed with the pot on the front panel?

By changing the Spindle Gad to a value 2 on the hand held controller ran the spindle at 54K rpm ( I don't want to do that again!!).

Thanks and regards
    Marts

Quote Originally Posted by Marts View Post
    Hi Xjdubber

I checked the speed with an optical tacho, it was originally running at 3600RPM which for an engraving bit is far too slow as you rightly stated, 9K would be better.

Yes it has a Chinese hand held controller, the machine is about 8 years old I believe.

Do you have any information on how to set the speed with the pot on the front panel?

By changing the Spindle Gad to a value 2 on the hand held controller ran the spindle at 54K rpm ( I don't want to do that again!!).

Thanks and regards
    Marts
    I'd be quite suprised if you tachometer could actually measure that high, dont think it can. at 54K rpm that thing would probably instantly explode, take a look at your spindle there should be marked on there near the bottom how many kw it is and the hz and speed. as for the drive goes looks like a clone of a delta vfd-m, I would pull the cover of the enclosure to check what drive is actually in there, that is just the digital operator of the drive not the drive itself, you will need a user manual from the mfg to set the parameters.

Hi Xjdubber,

You are correct, firstly I was holding the tacho far too close to the spindle, now I'm getting readings that are realistic, I have also set up the spindle as per the user manual regarding the "Spindle state" 8 and "Input Volt" table 1 to 7 which gives me speeds from No.1 = 6k rpm, No.2 = 9k rpm through to No. 7 = 24k rpm (I hope I have written this so you can follow?)

I have a spindle speed in my G code at S8000, however the spindle runs at 24K, I will now have to play around with different G code "S" values to find out what the correlation is between G code and actual machine speeds.

Thanks for your response it has been very helpful.

Marts

Quote Originally Posted by Marts View Post
    Hi Xjdubber,

You are correct, firstly I was holding the tacho far too close to the spindle, now I'm getting readings that are realistic, I have also set up the spindle as per the user manual regarding the "Spindle state" 8 and "Input Volt" table 1 to 7 which gives me speeds from No.1 = 6k rpm, No.2 = 9k rpm through to No. 7 = 24k rpm (I hope I have written this so you can follow?)

I have a spindle speed in my G code at S8000, however the spindle runs at 24K, I will now have to play around with different G code "S" values to find out what the correlation is between G code and actual machine speeds.

Thanks for your response it has been very helpful.

Marts

Im confused, you used the DI operators on the frequency drive to set speeds and programmed parameters according? or did you set this up on the handheld controller? if you set this up on the handheld, this still would have to be setup on the drive, and vice versa.

there needs to be wrining between the controller to accomplish this. I'm not sure about yours but my chinese handheld controller does not have the ability to set the speed from g-code on the drive. I have the drive programmed to input speed from the keypad controller like you have pictured. It used to be the up and down keys, however i changed the parameters to set speed by the pot on the front of the drive.

I have established that the speed is set purely by selecting one of the 1 to 7 values in the hand held control, whatever the G code in the program is. it has no influx on the speed

I would very much like to have the ability to do it like you have it set, with the pot on the front of the drive. Is this something that you could show me how to do?

Marts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan.pdf 
Views:	0 
Size:	569.6 KB 
ID:	298670

This is the settings page from which I set the 1 to 7 values.

Marts