587,646 active members*
2,946 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Thomson Super 8 Linear Bushing question?

Threaded View

Cool Thomson Super 8 Linear Bushing question?

I have purchaced eight of these Thomson Super 8 Linear Bushings from Enco, along with some .500 dia x 12" long case hardened linear shafting. I have been building a pair of "Mini Routers", a little at a time from scraps and scrounges. The X-axis has all the weight, and the furthest distance from the spindle; consequently, this axis has the most trouble with endplay in the slide bearings. The endplay is magnified by the distance to the spindle, and makes it feel even worse!

So I purchaced the round linear ball bushings in an attempt to rectify this problem. Now, my question is what size bore does the outer diameter of the bushing require? I have searched everewhare, and have found no such information!

The diameter of the shaft is .49925"
    The outer diameter of the bushing is 7/8" approximately.

The bottom view of my mini router will be modified to eliminate the two rectangular bars with the delrin block in the middle, and replaced with one large solid block with a pair of linear bushings for each rail. Then the center of the block will be hogged out to accept the delrin nut.

I would like to use snap rings to keep the bushings in place, and that would suggest a slight slip fit for the bushings! To avoid boring the holes oversized, I would like a formula or such to calculate the fit for the specified shaft diameter. Otherwise I will be boring test blocks untill I get the right size!

Thanks,
    Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0566.JPG   000_0568.JPG   000_0599.jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!