587,485 active members*
3,178 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool Preventive Maintenance On New Lathe

Today I stopped at the Auto Supply and purchased a gallon of gear oil. After taking the cover plate off the gear box on my new lathe, I did not like the look and smell of the fish-oil that came with the lathe!
    So I removed the drain plug, an let all the orange goop drain from the gear box replacing it with 90 weight gear lube!

While I was busy with that mess, I decided to drain the little gear box on the lathe carriage! Well, it was full of synthetic coolant and fish oil!.
    Apparently, the o-ring on the oil fill cap was missing, allowing the flood coolant to enter the gear box! Fortunately I found an o-ring in my toolbox that fit the plug nicely!

Well, my chip pan was full of orange goop! So I let it all drain into the coolant tank, and my little oil separator skimmed it all off and into a disposable container! Sure glad I bought the oil skimmer thing!

Now that all the gears are well lubed, my lathe is much quieter and the spindle was much cooler after running at 2100 RPM for an hour!
    I should have done this the day I got it, must have been too excited and distracted!

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0726.JPG   000_0727.JPG  

Eric, Make sure you grease the change gears and check if the oil pump belt is tight. You dont,t want to go thru what I did. Good Luck, Wishing you the best.
    DZASTR

Today I cleaned up an old bucket of coolant, using my oil skimmer to remove all the oil floating on top of the coolant!

Man was that stuff nasty!

VIDEO