587,786 active members*
2,455 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What Do You All Think?

Hey Spindle Heads!!

I have been eyeing this forum for a while now. I haven't actually built a machine yet but I have tossed ideas around in my head for a while coupled with what I get to read here.

The other day, I was checking out the Machinery's Handbook and saw something I thought would be cool to build. I finally decided to put something on paper...eh, on electrons I mean. I fired up the CAD and drew something rough without dimensions or anything. Just a box layout. Well, I guess the purpose of this posting is to have you experts take a look at the pictures. Contribute as liberally as possible to make this a cheap and easy build.

If it's not worth the effort to build too, please let me know as I have nada experience in these things. The primary goal for putting a design like this together is to have motor flexibility at the expense of rigidity. I know many probably do not ever intend on machining steel and hard aluminum etc. Flexibility will do them just fine tx. If neither flex nor rigidity has to be sacrificed to make the design work, please let me know. If the design gets enhanced enough from this Site and there happens to be additional interest, I'll go the extra mile to complete all specs and post them on here for those interested.

Keep spindling and until we meet again, take care........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MO1.jpg   mo2.jpg  

This is basically a horizontal mill configuration, I would say you only have the capability for only the lightest of operation due to lack of rigidity etc.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Most horizontal mills I have seen have the X-Y table seperated from the Z axis which is a heavy duty piece of cast iron to prevent deflection of the Z.