587,518 active members*
3,610 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Okuma Servo Motors

I have some motors that came off a R25 4axis lathe, the specs on the Z-axis motor are.
    Type: BL-MH101E-20T
    2KW 2000RPM CONTINUOUS 166V 8.4AMP 6POLE CLASS F
    ENCODER: OKUMA ABS-FB-D2048

X-axis motor specs are.
    TYPE: BL-MB75E-20T
    1.5KW 2000RPM CONTINUOUS 164V 6.6AMP 4POLE CLASS F
    ENCODER: OKUMA ABS-FB-D2048

I would like to know what kind off drivers I need to control these, are there any out there that won't break the bank? I would like to use these on a lathe conversion and possibly a plasma table or mill. I sure would appreciate any help the Forum could provide.

What type are they? Do they have brushes? (DC). BL could mean brushless.
    It looks like the encoders are 2048p/rev
    Are you looking for step/dir drives or Analogue?
    A-M-C is one source for various types of motors.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I'm told that they are AC brushless. I'm new to this and don't really know exactly what I need. I would like to use them if it's not going to cost an arm and leg to get them to work. I was wondering if something like MACHNC would run them or what would I need to do to run them from a PC. I know these are alot bigger motors than most are using on this forum but they are free and it would be a shame to see them go to waste.

spottiepop

I looked in the boxes I was given and found that the amplifiers or drives which ever they are called are there, what control software can I get that will talk to these, such as Mach or something simular? I will have 240V 3 phase power to test these out pretty soon. I was told that they were in working order when they were removed. I also found all the cabling and the CPU that the OSP 5020L-G control used. I noticed that this post has some traffic but not many replies, are there other forums where I could post and get more info.? I am finding that AC servos are not really for the DIY crowd, but I sure hate to give up on motors that are as strong as these.

Thanks, spottiepop

The OSP 5020L was the Okuma CNC control which probabally makes the drives and motors proprietary, which, unless you can get hold of manuals to reverse engineer the motor/drive details, maybe a long haul.
    There is virtually a guarantee that they will not be step/direction controlled.
    AL.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.