587,908 active members*
3,840 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > General Off Topic Discussions > Thread rolling 410 stainless - need help

Thread rolling 410 stainless - need help

I am fairly new to the thread rolling process having only been doing it for about 8 months now. I have a pretty good understanding of the machines I'm running and have been fairly successful in making parts. For the most part, I run out bolt blanks. I'll cut them to size, grind to the required roll dimension, and then roll them. I'm using a Cincinnati #2OM to grind and a Reed B-112 thread roller to make my threads. My grind is straight and all is well. I'm having a hard time rolling the threads due to what I think are issues with the material. I have never worked with a 410 stainless before and it seems to splinter more than anything while it's rolling. Dies are matched, work rest blade is at the proper height, I've slowed my feed rate speed down quite a bit but I can't seem to fix the issue. There is a call out for a 32 finish and I can't achieve this with the material splintering every time it rolls! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Re: Thread rolling 410 stainless - need help

What type of workrest blade are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by MrCog View Post
    What type of workrest blade are you using?
    It was an adjustable carbide top work rest blade. Standard for the B112. It turned out, I was making the parts from
    Blanks that had socket heads forged into them. The company that forged the heads never anealed the parts after forging. The hardness was done on the lower end of the blank and it was fine. When a hardness was done at the top of the head it had come out double what it was supposed to be. I thought it was set-up but it was ALL material. We sent them out for anealing and when they came back they ran fine!