587,192 active members*
2,139 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Need advice

Red face Need advice

Hi to everybody in CNCZone. It's my first post in the forums so I apologize if it's in wrong topic or something. Anyway I'm here to get advice from more experienced people.

Here's my story. I have really got a interest for CNC for now and I'd like to build a CNC router as my bachelor degree project. It's gonna be a budget project. I want it to be as cheap and simple as possible but follow all the principles of proper CNC router. I have decided to go with mobile bed-stationary gantry design and probably use aluminium profiles for construction materials cause I can get necessary peaces for free. Motors gonna come from matrix-dot printers as the cheapest solution for me. I am not concerned about mechanical aspect. I am studying as a production engineer and have good relations with mechanics and mechanical design. Now the bad thing is that I suck in electronics...I really do. Now the easiest solution for me is to buy all the necessary components: breakout board, motor drivers and power supply. On other hand I see lots of DIY CNC electronics around the web. I have found many circuit schematics for DIY breakout boards and motor drivers but the thing is I cant really read them. Still I feel like it's never too late to learn and there's also tutorials for circuit schematic reading out there as well. My native language is not English but till now I have done all my research using dictionary if necessary and lots of google and it all has worked out just fine. So what do you think? Is it real hard to get into CNC electronics if I am complete newbie on that field? Is it worth it? For me it looks like even if it doesn't make big different in money it still fun to do it yourself.

Thanks,
    Andre

Hi Andre, welcome to the Zone !!!

If you are using salvaged steppers they are most likely unipolar, in which case using linisteppers probably makes sense, they are one of the cheapest to make/buy and work really well. Do some googling and you will come up with a lot of info. From memory they are selling 3 axis kits for $90.00 US including parts and PCB's, you just need to assemble them. As far as value for money this is hard to beat.

If you are a bit keen and have access to a laser printer you could make yourself a PCB or three and make it from scratch, if you have friends that are involved in electronics they may have most of the parts to make the board, and you will learn heaps along the way.

Good Luck !!!

Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post
    Hi Andre, welcome to the Zone !!!

If you are using salvaged steppers they are most likely unipolar, in which case using linisteppers probably makes sense, they are one of the cheapest to make/buy and work really well. Do some googling and you will come up with a lot of info. From memory they are selling 3 axis kits for $90.00 US including parts and PCB's, you just need to assemble them. As far as value for money this is hard to beat.

If you are a bit keen and have access to a laser printer you could make yourself a PCB or three and make it from scratch, if you have friends that are involved in electronics they may have most of the parts to make the board, and you will learn heaps along the way.

Good Luck !!!

Russell.
    Thanks a lot Russell for pointing out the linistepper. It really is simple and good value for a money. I also have looked up some cnc kits in ebay, but they're quite a expensive stuff once you add shipping fees to Estonia ;P

I tell you what I do. I am gonna give it a try and make some DIY PCB one day. Lets see how it turns out. I least want to try it. If it's not gonna work out for me, then I go with easier solution and just probably buy the parts.
    I also gonna have couple of words with some of my friends who might know more about this field.

Quote Originally Posted by HCNC View Post
    Thanks a lot Russell for pointing out the linistepper. It really is simple and good value for a money. I also have looked up some cnc kits in ebay, but they're quite a expensive stuff once you add shipping fees to Estonia ;P

I tell you what I do. I am gonna give it a try and make some DIY PCB one day. Lets see how it turns out. I least want to try it. If it's not gonna work out for me, then I go with easier solution and just probably buy the parts.
    I also gonna have couple of words with some of my friends who might know more about this field.
    So I tried it. Bought all the necessary stuff, but did it as cheap as possible. I used just some kind of glossy magazine paper and set the household iron to wool settings. Preheated the plate for 30 seconds and then with the scheme for abot 2 min. Still the ink from the paper didn't adhere to the plate nicely. I knew that the first time does not come out perfectly and I just need to try more. I think I need to try different kind of paper. Though etching itself worked out just nicely. So my first experience was positive. I'm real busy on next week so I am gonna try again if I get a moment sometime.

Cheers