587,646 active members*
2,997 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Low cost machining centers?

Hi all,

Now that I have had my own shop for a little over a year, it's time for me to expand a little. I currently have a 2001 Johnford SV-40, and it's an awsome machine. No problems at all with it. I'm looking for a smaller machine for some of the smaller jobs that I routinely get. Maybe a 16" x 20" travel, or so....

The last shop I worked at had a few Twinhorn VMC's. You can get them for 50k, including shipping. Any other options out there for around that amount, or less? The only requirements are: Fanuc control (only because I don't want to have to reprogram parts to get them onto that mill), rigid tapping, box ways, double arm ATC is preferred, but not required..... and that's about it....

I've looked at a few used Supermax Max-1 Rebels, and those aren't too bad. My last shop had a few of those as well. For around 16k I could get one of those. However, I'd rather get something that's new. (warranty, parts availability, etc).

So.... What's out there? I cut a LOT of stainless, and my customers are pushing me to get into the inconels and all those fun materials, so I'd like something that's not a light duty machine.....

Thanks,

Seth

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm going to EASTEC in a couple of weeks, and I was hoping to look at specific machines, instead of spending all my time looking at EVERY one.....

You might take a look at Romi, a Brazilian manufacturer. Also, Milltronics. No experience with either, but they might be cheaper than others...

Chris.