587,482 active members*
3,420 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Hi All, I'm new to the forum, and glad to see there are some other Tormach folks around. I need some suggestions as to where to start looking to find what went haywire with my PCNC 1100.
    Here is the play by play from this morning;

Viced part up, chucked up my edge finder.

Turn spindle on in manual, and lowered Z. Switched to Y and moved in to catch first edge. Before getting to that edge, "clunk" (no louder than the sound it makes when you reset the machine.) and X,Y, and Z axis have no movement.

I reboot the PC/ and E stop/ Reset, with the same result.

The next time I Reboot/ Reset nothing changes, all axis are not physically moving, BUT the controller window shows that they are.

I'm not working near the limit switches, though I'm going to double check after this post is complete.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance- Marc

My god man, the reason people buy a Tormach is for the superb support they offer. Contact them to get a methodical analysis and repair of the problem rather than a shotgun approach by several well meaning cnczone members.

Odo

I don't buy Odo's theory at all. This is a problem that just ocurred today. The OP obviously has not done his duty to fix and solve his own problem. Let's reserve calling Tormach for the hard cases.

+1, Steve. Tormach's customer service is so superb, that they have expended much time and effort in writing excellent diagnostic and troubleshooting sections in the PCNC manuals. They themselves say go through the on-site troubleshooting yourself first before calling tech support. Much of the "well-meaning shotgunning" Odo hints at is codified in the Tormach manuals. Checking fuses and cable connections, swapping stepper drives between axes to pinpoint troubles, etc. are all in the manual.

Randy

It might be a wiring issue.

Reset the machine and wiggle the wires leading away from the home/limit switches. One might be loose or broken within the insulator and the circuit opens when the table moves. Or there may be a loose connection in the e-stop circuit within the panel. Also check the motor cover switch.

bob

Go to the MACH diagnostic screen and see what it thinks is going on.

Cable connection

I had the same issue in the past. It was a loose connection between the printer cable coming out of the PC. Alternatively check the connection cable to control case. The control board needs a live connection to the PC, otherwise it shuts down all movements. Mach keeps on calculating, that's why it shows movement.