587,108 active members*
3,412 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

91 vf 1 draw bar locked up

A little help here hoping for a simple fix..."aren't we all". The tool release piston seemed to be malfunctioning the other day when loading tools, it didn't seem to want to let go of the tool when i pushed the tool release button to pull out the tool. after a couple more tool changes it stopped working altogether. After pulling out the last tool. didn't make any wierd noises. just stopped being effective. FYI.. Umbrella typ tool changer.

after taking off the sheet metal. I watched to see that the plunger comes down on top of the drawbar. it hits the draw bar and stops like the drawbar is locked up. the spring plunger on top of the tool release piston moves down from the upper limit switch half way down until it hits the top of the drawbar then stops.

I pulled the exaust muffler from the air input line. it looks like the rubber gasket is tore up in pieces, and appears to be used as a flow control device as well as an air muffler. where to get one of these?..

I'm not sure if this is a tool release piston issue or a drawbar issue...

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0924011232.jpg   0924011234.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by eksinger View Post
    A little help here hoping for a simple fix..."aren't we all". The tool release piston seemed to be malfunctioning the other day when loading tools, it didn't seem to want to let go of the tool when i pushed the tool release button to pull out the tool. after a couple more tool changes it stopped working altogether. After pulling out the last tool. didn't make any wierd noises. just stopped being effective. FYI.. Umbrella typ tool changer.

after taking off the sheet metal. I watched to see that the plunger comes down on top of the drawbar. it hits the draw bar and stops like the drawbar is locked up. the spring plunger on top of the tool release piston moves down from the upper limit switch half way down until it hits the top of the drawbar then stops.

I pulled the exaust muffler from the air input line. it looks like the rubber gasket is tore up in pieces, and appears to be used as a flow control device as well as an air muffler. where to get one of these?..

I'm not sure if this is a tool release piston issue or a drawbar issue...

Thanks.
    Call your HFO to get parts for your machine.

If that does not fix the problem, I would start by looking at the tool release solenoid and the drawbar.

Do a search on these items and you should find a lot of information about them.

Good luck!

Thanks Haastec,
    problem fixed.. turns out it was a rubber stopper ahead of the air muffler which was turned to shredded crumbs. the new one has a distinct pop that i haven't heard before, but seems to be working good now... now to see about how to quiet the spindle down a bit.. kinda sounds like bearings in the gearbox, maybe checking the tension of the belt...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010434.jpg   P1010440.jpg   P1010441.jpg  

great thread!