587,546 active members*
3,703 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Keeping your Gibs in Tact?

Hi Guys

I have been working on converting a round column bench style mill to cnc. I think the gib adjusting screws are going to be a problem with this Mill. They are located at one end of each gib with the head of the screw fitting into a slot milled into the side of the gib. To adjust the clearance, you either move the screw in (to tighten) or out (to loosen) depending on your requirements. There is nothing to stop this screws from backing out with the constant movement of the gib. I could use loctite to lock the screws in position, but I am wondering if you guys can think of a better way to keep them in position, and easily adjustable?

Thanks for the help.

Regards

Willy

I have the same problem. Also with the slop in the gib slot on the head of the screw the gib goes tighter in one direction, looser the other. I was thinking of cutting a custom screw with a fatter head for starters...

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Use a weak grade of loctite, if machine vibration is causing the screw to loosen off. Don't overdo the quantity of loctite, you just want to gum up the threads in a harmless way.

You could attempt to cut a washer to put beneath the shoulder of the screw, to make it fill the slot perfectly in the gib. A couple of thou play isn't going to make much difference.

Many machines have a push screw on the other end of the gib which makes a moderate degree of counter-thrusting screw action possible. Overtightening these two screws against one another can, however, force the gib into an unnaturally tight state against the dovetail.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gib Adjustment

Here is something you might try:

http://www.industrialhobbies.com/how...adjustment.htm

Just my two cents.
    Aaron Moss

www.IndustrialHobbies.com

I have often found the gib screws on offshore machines to be really crappy and tend to custom machine units that fit better.
    Usually machines (in my experience) have a back pressure screw to lock the gib against the adjusting screw.
    You could put a little teflon on the screw threads - like pipe sealing dope. This usually gets semi-hard - should work.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I just simply use some enamal paint , It seems to hold tight and you can still adjust as needed , I have used this in the auto work for years .
    thanks Kenneth
    www.lambertsrc.com