587,553 active members*
3,106 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Axis motor over heat alarm

We have a old VF 4 mill cnc. the first alarm was A axis motor over heat alarm. It would'nt reset. We turned the power off & back on (reboot) and it worked for about a min. We unpluged the A axis and now getting a Z axis motor over heat alarm. Could it be the Micro Processor board? Anyone here run into this before?

Did you turn off the 4th axis in the setting page? I know ours will throw up random axis alarms if the operator unplugs but doesn't turn it off.

I don't know, But I'll ask the operator. Thanks

yes he said he turned the 4th axis in the setting page off.

Could possibly be 2 issues, coincidentally happening at the same time.

A axis overheat: Verify operation of the air valve controlling the A axis brake. More times than not, the valve gets stuck and the motor has to labor excessively to rotate the indexer. Simply replace with a compatible MAC air valve.

Z axis overheat: Verifly the nitrogen charge in the pneumatic counterbalance. If the pressure differential is too great, the motor has to labor excessively to move the axis or even maintain position. I believe Haas recommends the differential be less than 50 lbs? Have your service guy come out and check/recharge the nitrogen.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Hames View Post
    We have a old VF 4 mill cnc. the first alarm was A axis motor over heat alarm. It would'nt reset. We turned the power off & back on (reboot) and it worked for about a min. We unpluged the A axis and now getting a Z axis motor over heat alarm. Could it be the Micro Processor board? Anyone here run into this before?
    Most often, the axis motor over heat alarm generally happens when there is no communication with the axis motor cable. For example, if you turn on the 4th axis but you do not plug the motor cable into the machine, you will get an A Motor Overheat alarm.

Since you get it on multiple axis, I would suspect that there is either a low voltage power problem or an issue with the Mocon board itself.

Good luck!

Thanks every one, I'll let you know the out come.