587,770 active members*
3,301 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

A 100cm by 50cm router for $1000nzd

Hi,
    I'm new to these forums and relatively new to the whole CNC thing. But the more I think about it and the more I browse this site I realize how much i'd like a cnc router.

Here's the catch, I will only have $800 to $1000nzd. I was wondering about the feasibility of building a CNC router with a working area of around 100cm (40inches) by 50cm (20inches). I would be using it to machine aluminium, copper
    and acrylic.

If its not feasible at this price what price point would I be looking at.

Thanks in advance

Ruairi

You're not going to get something made of aluminium for that price. Cheapest CNC router I've seen recently are the 6040 ones sold on eBay. These will set you back about $A1700 including shipping.
    Working area for these is 400mm x 580mm so a fair bit smaller than you require.

For your budget, MDF construction is your best hope. Browse a bit more here to get a better idea of what's possible on a limited budget.
    Regards
    Geoff

Hi,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't planning on making it out of aluminium but routing aluminium with it. I have though about it and could probably do with a 50cm by 25cm table. Are these expectation more reasonable for that price?

Controller and steppers (I got a Gecko 540 kit) is going to be well over half that budget alone, landed here in NZ.

If you really want to be milling copper, then you should buy a mill, not a router.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I spent $7k all up, including delivery and spindle upgrade, on a CNC that does 900x600mm. I can do limited aluminium cutting with a 3mm endmill, cutting 3mm plate with 2 passes, but the gantry is no where rigid enough to use a 6mm. Too much chatter. Not the best of setups to run coolant/lubricant either. As ger21 said... you want a mill, not a router. Don't forget the costs of endmills, tools and accessories. Would be good to have at least $500..$750 to start with for that stuff.

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like I've got some more saving to do