587,777 active members*
2,741 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Repeating programs without repeated 'start' presses

Repeating programs without repeated 'start' presses

Hey guys this will be my last question for a while ! Learning a lot and making some good progress.

-4, 88 legacy control, running in mode 1.

When I have a program with subroutines, it takes some extra presses of the cycle start to repeat the program.

I press start once at the M0 at the end of the program when the fixtures have been reloaded, then it needs two more presses to get the program restarted.

Is there a way to just automatically repeat the program without pausing for additional pushes of the start button ? 3 pushes is a little much.

Sample code below for the sake of discussion.

TIA!

O1234
    L100
    (*subroutine*)
    M17 (end sub)
    L200
    (*subroutine*)
    M17 (end sub)
    M30 (end of all subs)
    (*main*)
    M6T14 (load tool)
    S5000M3 (spin on)
    E1D14H14X0Y0Z5. (approach part)
    L101 (call first sub)
    L201 (call second sub)
    E0H0Z0X0Y7.5 (homes spindle, moves table to load/unload)
    M0 (pause for load / unload)
    M2 (program end)

060221-1646 EST USA

Shizzlemah:

Do you have a GOTO capability. If so, then after your M00 put
    GOTO 100 (meaning your line 100).

Ah the forest for the trees.

Thanks gar that will do the trick nicely I'll stay quiet for a while now !!

Shizz,

Since Fadal requires N#'s on every line, If you don't put them there they are included during DNC...
    We use Format II and at the bottom of the program, instead of M2 or M30:
    m99p1
    (For goto N1)

Have you tried Format II...?

Works well,
    Scott_bob

I just used #: labels and they worked fine.

I dont think that I could use a 'goto' while running DNC, but it's
    easy enough to loop it on the PC side.

Havent tried format2 yet - let me just say I am building confidence with g-code for dummies (fmt1).

kicking some butt, probing pieces & setting coords. probing after machining to adjust tool offsets, macros up the ying.

perhaps it's time that I should look at format 2 - but Ive probably got 100 programs in format 1 so far. Hate to go back and edit them.

Using the M99 P?? to line jump back to the line that you wish to begin on again is the correct solution. This will allow only one buttom push from the M0 code to get rolling again.
    Scott mentioned DNC, remember that in DNC you can NOT use subroutines. DNC can not look backwards in the program stream.

Neal

I meant Distributed Numerical Control (DNC)
    not Direct Numerical Control (DNC)
    When using RS232 communications, line numbers are automatically added...
    Scott_bob

Scott--
    There in lies the problem with the industry using the same syntax to mean varying concepts. Unfortunatley caution must be exercised when using this type of terminology so as not to mis=direct the desired meanings.

Neal :cheers:

Neal,
    what makes M99 Pxx more suitable than a #GOTO :xx ?

At least with the goto I can use a taget name and not be dependant on line numbers not changing. Let's just say there may be some on the fly editing on the console !

What makes Format 1 "G code for dummies"? Other than compatability with Fanuc style programs what does Format 2 do that Format 1 wont?

Dave

maybe i'm confused

O1234
    L100
    (*subroutine*)
    M17 (end sub)
    L200
    (*subroutine*)
    M17 (end sub)
    M30 (end of all subs)
    (*main*)
    M6T14 (load tool)
    S5000M3 (spin on)
    E1D14H14X0Y0Z5. (approach part)
    L101 (call first sub)
    L201 (call second sub)
    E0H0Z0X0Y7.5 (homes spindle, moves table to load/unload)
    M0 (pause for load / unload)
    M2 (program end)

maybe i'm missing something here but wouldn't it only require 1 push of the button if you took out the M0 at the end of the program?

the m2 is program end/rewind and the E0 line will bring the table to you to change the parts.
    so the table cycles out, the program ends, you load the parts and press start 1 time to run the program.

i think you are making the extra press starts by adding the M0 at the end.
    i think without the M0 it will still stop and come to you because it is the end of the program.

Timf,
    E0H0Z0X0Y7.5 (homes spindle, moves table to load/unload) would move to this position but then M2 would immediatly move the table to E0X0Y0. The M0 is needed to pause for load & unload. Then two pushes of the start are required (three if you don't want to wait while the control reads the whole program). M99Pxx will start from where ever the table is without having to return to 0,0.

Dave

In format 2 I have never ever put an M0 in a program (I also have never used format 1).
    Last line is M30 - reload machine - press start (once) to run again.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

In format II you can finish a single tool op, you can move up 3" in Z,
    move to G53 Y10. (For a 20" Y axis cnc)
    m30

In format I the cnc will always go back to x0 y0 z0, now why would I want to do that...
    Format I defaults to G8 (for fadal like turtle speed), Format II defaults to G9...
    It's ironic that so much discussion on this thread is about how a fadal performs on a few freakin button pushes. What about how the machine performs in controlled motion? That is what you paid for right?
    Scott_bob

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_bob
    In format II you can finish a single tool op, you can move up 3" in Z,
    move to G53 Y10. (For a 20" Y axis cnc)
    m30

In format I the cnc will always go back to x0 y0 z0, now why would I want to do that...
    Format I defaults to G8 (for fadal like turtle speed), Format II defaults to G9...
    It's ironic that so much discussion on this thread is about how a fadal performs on a few freakin button pushes. What about how the machine performs in controlled motion? That is what you paid for right?
    Format I will do the same thing. Add a m0 to the G53 line and change M30 to M99Pxx. You don't have to go back to xyz0.
    Format I defaults to G9 (deceleration or feed ramps in or out of moves). Format II defaults to G8(no feed ramps). If you don't like the default, change it in the program.
    As for how the machine performs in controlled motion?
    We don't do any 3D or high speed work where we're shoving a lot of code thru the control in a short time, so i can't speak to that. The nearest we've come is to machine tracer lathe templates for parabolic mirrors. It did allright for that. I wish it was more rigid and the tool changer is too slow. It's no Mori or Mazak but it does o.k. Its big step up from the 1974 Cincinnatti 225WC 5V with Acramatic 5 control I started out on. Editing paper tape with stickers and a hole punch. Now there's a good time.

Dave