I was looking at the wiring diagram for the DYN4 1.8kw servo that I am using for a spindle motor and it shows the E-Stop cutting power to the coil of the contactor that switches power to the DYN4 drive and motor. OK, that sounds great for an emergency. But, since I am new to CNC, CAM and LinuxCNC I run my jobs with pendant in hand and finger on the E-Stop button. I will stop the job if I realize that I forgot something like loading the correct program for the current operation or something just doesn’t look right. All I want to do is stop everything and start over. Powering down the drive and motor seems a bit extreme for the situation at hand. While there is a way to pause the program on the pendant using two buttons simultaneously it’s not as easy as pressing the big red button. I have read that the E-Stop should stop all motion and remove power to the machine. It’s removing the power part that seems extreme for what I have used the E-Stop for so far. Should I have an E-Stop that stops and kills power to everything to be used for a real emergency and also a separate button that just stops all motion?

Thanks
John