587,415 active members*
3,133 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VF-0 memory corrupted

Hi All,
    I am helping a friend get his VF-0e back up and running. Here is what happened:
    He was getting error 251 and 257 when the machine started up. (program data errors) A little searching around suggested that the problem was probably a weak battery on the board with the memory chips. He ordered a new battery and I offered to help him replace it.
    I assumed that it would be wise to parallel an additional battery across the terminals so that power would not be interrupted when replacing the battery. As luck would have it one of the clip leads popped off as I was pulling the old battery out and there was about 5 seconds of voltage interruption. I hoped for the best and reassembled everything and turned on the machine. Now it lists a slew of alarms at boot up and all of the parameters seem to have illegal values.
    182 sevos off
    203 lead screw crc error
    261 rotary crc error
    212 prog integrity error
    120 low air pressure
    121 Low lub or low pressure
    138 a moter over heat
    189 B moter over heat
    218 y phasing error

I am guessing we need to somehow clear the machines memory and enter in valid parameter numbers. We have a printed sheet of all of the factory parameter values but I don't know the procedure for reloading them.
    Anybody have a procedure for this?
    Thanks!!!
    Michael

Re: VF-0 memory corrupted

Did you save the parameters to disc or thumb before you lost power?
    I got these same errors and saved every program macro and os to disc. Then I deleted all my parts and re booted the machine. After looking at the part programs I saw one of the later ones didnt have the beganning %sign that I believe preditor deleted. Of course I tried to force the install which wadded up the file structure and kicked a battery alarm???

The good news is now you can have Haas install the latest software on his machine

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrace View Post

I am guessing we need to somehow clear the machines memory and enter in valid parameter numbers. We have a printed sheet of all of the factory parameter values but I don't know the procedure for reloading them.
    Anybody have a procedure for this?
    Thanks!!!
    Michael
    If all you have is the printed sheet, then you will have to manually go through each and every parameter to verify that it matches your printed version. Keep in mind that before this occurred, your machine may have been running with slightly different parameters than what your printed copy has, so expect additional fine tuning once you are done. Especially check your tool change height and spindle orientation.

Not to rub salt into your wounds, but to help anyone else who may come across this during a search, Haas has a provision for replacing the battery backup on the board without loosing data. There is a plug next to the on board battery that you can plug in a temporary battery which will hold the memory while the permanent battery is replaced.
    Even with that, it is ALWAYS good practice to backup your machine on a regular basis and especially before attempting tasks such as battery replacement.

Thanks for the tip on checking the tool change height and spindle orientation. Will double check when we get to that stage.

I was using the external battery header when dong this procedure. Unfortunately I was using clip leads on the pins instead of a locking connector housing!

We *do* have a floppy disk with backups of all parameters, settings, programs, and offsets.
    The problem we are having is that the machine will not accept new parameter entries. To start with the floppy drive enable parameter is set to disable. We can highlight it, enter in a new number, but the machine will not accept it. Is there some sort of mode that enables editing of parameters?
    Also, since the memory is corrupt most of the parameter values look like large negative numbers. Maybe I need to somehow wipe the batter backed up RAM. I did see a procedure for writing zeros to the battery ram but it was from a newer machine.
    Anybody done this before?
    Thanks!
    Micahel

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the tip on checking the tool change height and spindle orientation. Will double check when we get to that stage.

I was using the external battery header when dong this procedure. Unfortunately I was using clip leads on the pins instead of a locking connector housing!

We *do* have a floppy disk with backups of all parameters, settings, programs, and offsets.
    The problem we are having is that the machine will not accept new parameter entries. To start with the floppy drive enable parameter is set to disable. We can highlight it, enter in a new number, but the machine will not accept it. Is there some sort of mode that enables editing of parameters?
    Also, since the memory is corrupt most of the parameter values look like large negative numbers. Maybe I need to somehow wipe the batter backed up RAM. I did see a procedure for writing zeros to the battery ram but it was from a newer machine.
    Anybody done this before?
    Thanks!
    Micahel

Call me and I can probably walk you through this. My name is James 503-580-3612.

Quote Originally Posted by NWSERVICEGUY View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Call me and I can probably walk you through this. My name is James 503-580-3612.
    Thank you James for getting us back up and running! Your help turned a big heavy door stop into a nice running CNC mill!!!

To anyone reading this thread, James at Emergency Machine Tool Repair LLC is very experienced and knowledgeable about these machines! I would highly recommend his services!
    -Michael

Thank you James for getting us back up and running! Your help turned a big heavy door stop into a nice running CNC mill!!!

To anyone reading this thread, James at Emergency Machine Tool Repair LLC is very experienced and knowledgeable about these machines! I would highly recommend his services!
    -Michael
    :cheers: