587,108 active members*
3,647 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > Fairbanks-Morse opposed piston engine scale build

Fairbanks-Morse opposed piston engine scale build

As the title suggests, I am toying with the idea of doing one.

I got this idea shortly after having been invited to help a power plant mechanic overhaul one sometime in the fall. I have been wanting to own one of those engines, but two things put a stop to this: the size of the engine, and the fact that one of these would set me back $11ty thousand.

I have never built an engine but am fully aware of the complexity, especialky when I consider a 12cyl version. Turn two crankshafts, two cams which drive the injectors, turn 12 cylinders ans 24 pistons... You get the idea. I also considered using some commonly available parts but the purist in me says "make it all".

What I am wondering is if I contact Fairbanks-Morse for the blueprints and tell them my intent to scale down, would they be all for it or would I run into legal issues because technically I would be copying their design, albeit at a smaer size scale.

AC-130U

I think if you want to take on something like that it would be great. I know a fellow who is doing a single cylinder with 2 pistons. I'm sure it can be done. Go for it.

Can't hurt to ask the parent company. Otherwise design your own based on available manufacturing technology and factors such as available screws - you can make the screws too, if you want to spend 12 years building the engine...

Meanwhile, you can look at these dual pistol 2 stroke diesel engines for inspiration:
    News - Achates Power

Right, fasteners and such I will use off the shelf. I was talking about major parts like pistons, conrods, etc. Would I use those off the shelf? Maybe, not sure yet.

Then there's the crankshafts and camshafts. I dunno who would be able to make those for a 12cyl version of the scale model.

AC-130U