587,877 active members*
5,278 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > sketching in X3 vs V9

sketching in X3 vs V9

Two things (so far)

1) Sketching a circle tangent to two entities. Not an arc. The option is available for 3 entities. In V9 you could control the the arc size. Is it possible to get a full circle tangent to two entites? I have been getting the partial arc then closing it in trim.

2) Sketching line tanget to an arc at an angle. V9 would give you two lines to choose from. We are a multiple station (individual hasp) user. Some computers give you two choices like V9, some only one direction (primary angle).

These seem like really simple hurdles. I can find nothing in configuration settings.

Thanks

To do what you are asking is easier than you might think, and probably one reason that it doesn't exist as a menu option.

Just offset the two entities by an amount equal to the radius of your circle/arc and where ever they intersect is the radius point. Your circle/arc will then be tangent to both.

Thanks Toonz. But with all respect, that method is even more troublesome than starting with the partial arc and closing it. You would still end up trimming it. I used the 2 entity tangent arc all the time. Also it gives all possible arcs with one in dashed lines. After you exit out of the function it turns solid but it seems wierd and I am not really following their logic. Therefore, I thought I was missing something really simple. Also, all possible arcs displayed are less than 180 degrees.

Thanks again

Hi guys,
    I haven't gone looking for this particular solution, but,
    have you gone thru all the custom icons, this would / could be one that is not placed in any of the toolbars yet.

I have found one that Xform-translates to one or many individual pick-points before closing the dialog

And there are stacks more!!!

Use the option Create Circal Edge point. pick the two end points and be done.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Thanks for the help guys. I want to create a circle tangent to two arcs, not points.

The V9 to X3 conversion document points me in the Circle/points direction. But thats it. The ribbon bar for Circle points also contains a tangency icon on the right side. Function works well with these TWO buttons depressed. So the Circle tangent function is not contained in the arc tangent ribbon bar. I dont know why they chose to orphan this function with Circle/points. Less than intuitive. Still trying to figure out why one would be dashed (temp). Smart Arc? Hey, I should trademark that name! HAAHAA!

Thanks Again

create circle edge point. set it for Tangent. you will see the tangent button to the right on the ribbon bar. Select the first and second arcs then give it a Radius then it will show.
    Of cousre it has to be at lest the size of the distance or bigger.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Everyone is making this soooo hard.

A partial circle tangent to two lines or two arcs or one line and one arc.... is a Fillet. A Fillet is an arc tangent to 2 entities. In your options you can also make it a Full circle if you want (look at the options on the ribbon bar. Its the pull down that says Normal).

Select Fillet - Enter your Radius - Pick your 2 elements.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Mfg
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Everyone is making this soooo hard.
    Mike this is one way that works two this was the one I had decided to use.
    my way below .Like the picture below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tangentcircle.jpg  
    Cadcam

Hi Jay,

I see what you mean. It is a different scenario than what I was proposing.

Thanks,

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com