587,482 active members*
2,959 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Need Help Finding CAM Software and a Good Teacher

Post Need Help Finding CAM Software and a Good Teacher

I am new to this forum (actually never posted anything on any forum before now) so please excuse me if my etiquette is not correct.

I recently purchased a Tormach 1100 Series 3. So far, all works well as a manual motorized machine. I've made some parts using the keyboard and I can generate some simple code in WordPad. However, I need to get better and more efficient. Most of what I need to do right now is 2.5 axis work but later I will need to broaden my capabilities to 3 and 4 axis (e.g. for cutting gears).

I need to find a good CAM program and some local training (Dallas, TX metro area) so that I can better use this mill. I just do not know how to go about finding what I need. Do I select the software first or find someone who might be able to give me a crash course and use the software that he/she recommends? If the latter is the better choice, I am thinking someone who is retired and/or wants to work part time. Is there a place within CNC Zone to find people?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Re: Need Help Finding CAM Software and a Good Teacher

The first things I ever programmed were with cambam. I downloaded it. Read the manual. Read a few forum how-to's and gave it a try.

The butterfly was my first ever cnc part. The medallion was my second... Oddly it's still one of my favorite things I've ever made.

Since then I've been very fortunate to use Mastercam X5 for the last two years and recently started using HSMWORKS With Solidworks and oh my effing God is it nice! I'll be paying for the full version before too long.

Attachment 231350Attachment 231352Attachment 231354Attachment 231356

Brian
    WOT Designs

Part of my point, I forgot while looking for pictures, was everything I've made (I now machine full time) could have been made in cambam. Some would have taken some tricks, but any cam you learn can be forced, tricked or made to do what you need done for 2.5 D. A lot of time I program snippets of code in cam then hand code the rest because I can do it more efficiently than any cam program made for production parts on some and others I need the ability to quickly and easily "turn off" specific parts on a plate or a while vise from the machine. Say I break a bolt while inserting 60 hold down bolts... Too late to remove everything and remove it so I turn off subroutine calling the holes being drilled. Then turn off that one part on the fixture and it cuts the other 29 and skips that one part. Gets a little complicated to program but it saves a lot of time and mistakes on the machine.

Brian
    WOT Designs

CAD/CAM software is expensive so you don't want to make a mistake in what you select. An idle machine is also expensive. I purchased Vectric Cut2D and was making stuff the same day. That means that you can be somewhat productive with 2.5D work and take your time to fully evaluate the expensive choices. Depending on what you want with gears you may be able to use Gearotic (about $150) to to do what you need.

As Strauss recommends to get going it might be better to start simple until you know more.
    I jumped all the way in because I had a lifetime of cad skills thinking they would help in cam.
    other then I can draw a part in very little time and then after importing the file those skills helped little.
    cam software can be complex and there is 0.00 books for learning most of it. What I did is called brute force
    Loaded software, read everything I could, watched any videos, played around and figured it was going to take time, LOTS OF TIME.
    I Started dedicating an hour a day to learning it and after a few weeks it starts paying off big time .
    I can now do complex fixtures with mill operations and tool paths that avoid them and they can be configured for each operation.
    Mill out very complex parts including tap operations with some effort but its getting less every day.
    I figure in 6 months I will have a very strong basis for cam operations.
    And each day continue to build on them.

An example my next lesson plan is interior and exterior mill threading with 60 deg thread mills.
    As I work thru it I will also setup defaults for future operations to speed setups and all associated code, fixtures and tooling

Couple of my favorite sayings when I'm learning things and its hard or seems non productive.

If it was easy everyone would do it.
    Knowledge is compounding if you learn it now it only helps later " W. Buffett"

MD

Thanks for the input. I tried the Cut 2D and that got me going. I'll keep playing and come back when I am ready to step up.

Welcome to the forum!
    I am your age and it takes a bit longer to learn some things that for sure. I started over two years ago with Sprutcan and Rhino for cad, I have a decent handle on both of them now, Rhino was relatively easy to learn, Sprutcam took some time and I still dont have a real good handle on some aspects of it but it does a lot for the money.

I have been doing some engraving with the machine and I get a kick out of that.

I think the advice on a cheaper cam program may be the best advise, that will let you get to making chips quicker.

Have fun with your new machine.........
    mike sr

you can try artcam express for 150... if you work with eps files it works very well..
    also imports 3d models, meshes..

I had cut2d and it always saying eps contain only bitmap..
    don't makes vcarving, and don't even read any mesh or 3dmodel..

artcam express opens without any issue eps files....

go download acexpress,
    ArtCAM Free Trial Software Downloads

and make a test...
    Vectric Forum ? View topic - Importing Drawings

kstrauss very right.. with cut2d you will ending up buying another programs for simple vcarving, or reading a simple stlmodels, otherwise free programs can handle..

however for a millingmachine visualmill, or bobcad would be more suitable..
    cambam also closer to the classic cam..

with tormach, you might want to reaming holes or rigid taping or other tasks what already require a designated camprogram..
    ================================================== ============

the learning is a bit more than you see at this moment..

you have to get familiar with different materials,
    getting familiar with your mill
    and of course with cnc itself..

people might can explain you, how you have to mount a machine vise properly, or setting up a simple task, but without your effort to learning in your peace alone, it will be hard..

I would suggest you cnc cookbook..
    CNC Machinist Cookbook: Software and Information

from that single website you can learn almost like in a designated school..