587,096 active members*
6,172 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tape Conversion?

My shop just got a new Okuma mill and I stumbled across a portion of the special function manual (section 31) that describes a "tape conversion mode". My limited understanding leads me to believe that this mode would allow the control to interpret FANUC programs directly. I set the optional parameter bits as described, but it didn't seem to work. Anybody know more about this?

there is an optional function on newer Okuma controllers to read Fanuc code directly without modification. I don't know what they call it. If it is active they say you don't need to do anything and the machine will read the Fanuc program as-is. Personally I don't see it working on any program except simple G0/G1/G2/G3 and simple cycles G70/G71/G72/G76 etc.
    It'd just be easier to convert it to the Okuma machine being used and then leave it alone.

It's most likely one of the things an Okuma salesman will rave on about as a selling point saying 'Our machines are Fanuc compatible now'. Having converted 100's of Fanuc programs to Okuma already, I know in reality it'll be less than impressive and all but the simplest Fanuc programs will need some kind of modification regardless.