587,908 active members*
4,402 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VF2 and Shop floor

I'm going to purchase a VF2 in the next few months for a home shop. I read a few weeks ago that your concrete floor thickness can be a concern. So it has me a little bugged out about my situation.

I poured the concrete myself several years ago so I know the specs first hand. My slab is exactly 3 1/2" thick with fiber mixed into it as it came off the cement truck. Suposedly if you use fiber you can get away without using wire in your pour.

Can I expect to have any trouble with the VF2 on this slab?

What kind of base did you put under the concrete, nicely compacted road base material? If the underneath is not providing a good suppport I think you might be marginal, but the fiber will certainly help.

I have two smaller machines, about 5000lbs each on a 2" - 3" slab that has nothing but topsoil under it and what I did was use pads of steel plate to spread the load over a larger area than the little pucks the levelling screws sit on. Between the plate and the concrete I put a 1/2" thick piece of dense polyurethane foam; my theory for this was that it compresses and spreads the load evenly over the concrete surface, not concentrating at just the high spots where the steel touches. So far a few years on I have not seen any extra cracks in the floor.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I actually had to build the floor up around 18-24 inches (under the concrete) because the shop was in a low spot. It was built up a few inches at time with "AB" (a term used out west to grade the material). It's what is commonly used to "bed" concrete in this area, it compacts very well. Every few inches I compacted the AB with a gas powered compactor.

I'm pretty confidant that the bedding was done very well if not over done.

Quote Originally Posted by l u k e View Post
    ..... Every few inches I compacted the AB with a gas powered compactor.

I'm pretty confidant that the bedding was done very well if not over done.
    Lotsa fun using those compactors, after a few hours your teeth are all shooken loose.

EDIT: Pushed the button too soon, hadn't finished.

You should be fine. Being a 'belts and braces' guy I would probably use my steel plate idea but at my business I have a reputation for BLABSHE.

You should be fine, I looked in to this when I was putting down my floor for my machine and I way over built it because there was a lot more going on it as well. Mine is 6" thick with rebar on 10" centers. You may have a problem in you start loading more on the floor around the machine. Like is this where you park your car? Geofs idea above would remove all worry. But when your machine shows up ask your riggers about some horror stories my riggers had some good ones.
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Being a 'belts and braces' guy I would probably use my steel plate idea but at my business I have a reputation for BLABSHE.
    I'll likly go with the steel plate , thanks.

BLABSHE?? lol

Quote Originally Posted by l u k e View Post
    I'll likly go with the steel plate , thanks.

BLABSHE?? lol
    Built Like A Brick S**t House Engineering

LOL, good one.