587,172 active members*
3,417 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool What is the Formula?

What is the formula for calculating a bridgeport / lathe feedrate in Inches per Minute, when all you know is the RPM & .200/revolution of the leadscrew?

My bridgeport has a simple powerfeed on the x-axis, and no indication or divisions of how fast its moving? By experience, I can see & feel the feedrates, but have no idea what they really are!

IPM=RPM*.200 ?

Eric
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

feed rate formula

Hi I dont know if this is what your looking for but if you know the rpm and the leadscrew pitch you should just have to multiply the rpm x pitch
    100rpm x .200 = 20ipm etc..

do you know what rpm the power feed is turning? if this is what you are looking for you should be able to mark the other end of your screw/handwheel etc.. and use a stop watch to and count the revs if possible.

Cool

I have one of those old Starrett tachometers, that fits in the center of the rotating shaft. So the RPM would be a known value.
    Eric
    www.widgitmaster.com

IPM formula

So if you know the rpm and the pitch you can calculate as described earlier rpm x pitch = ipm.

you can also use that info to find your chip load if you needed.
    ipm / rpm (spindle) / # of flutes

20ipm / 2000rpm (spindle) / 2 flutes = .005 chip per flute

Thanks,
    I know these are basic, but as an old manual machinist, feedrates were never important! So I guess I need to learn new tricks!

Thanks,
    Eric
    www.widgitmaster.com

THE LEADSCREW MOVE THE CAIRAGE ON A LATHE THE FEED IS CONTROLLED BY GEARS OFF THE SPINDLE THAT CHANGES THE SPEED OF THE LEADSCREW THERE IS A FORUMA BUT CAN'T THINK OF IT RIGHT NOW I USE A DATA BASE CALLED ME PRO CONSUALTANT BEEN MACHINE ALL MY LIFE AND THE BEST FORMULA THAT CAN BE GIVEN IS CUT AS FAST AS YOU WANT TO GET THE RESULT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR BUT CHECK OUT THIS SOFTWARE IF IT SAVE YOU 10 END MILLS FROM BURNING OUT IT'S PAYED FOR ITSELT I USE IT ON A DAILY BASIS A WORK
    http://www.mrainey.freeservers.com/

widigitmaster....what you first stated is correct. IPM = RPM * .200 in/revolution