587,204 active members*
3,095 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Talking The Test bed machine

Or at least thats what Im calling it right now. First let me clearly define the scope of this machine, if I dont I will immediately get flamed I can see it now...(flame2)

1. Quick easy build, that is some what modular and easily adaptable
    2. "machinable" area at least 24x18 and at least 12" Z (maybe effective is a better word...)
    3. Fast travel in X and Y
    4. Built mostly from left over parts from old builds
    5. The real goal of this machine to to test ideas. I already have a fully functional and very capable 2'x'4 fixed gantry machine to do my real work. I already know that there is flex in my design, and that there will be real limitations to the work this machine can do.
    6. The work scope of this is to test the capability of diode laser heads, pen head designs, tangential knives, and Probing (probing is the reason for the 12" Z)

The general scope of the machine is to test alot of ideas (and boy is there alot of them) that I'm either nervous to test on the real machine (cant break the money maker) or would like to test from the comfort of my own desk, like probing.

Now that thats out of the way on to a bit of my design scope:

X axis- will be using .75" unsupported Thompson rail and Igus sleeve bearings. The drive system will be belt driven using 1/2" wide XL belts and pulleys.

Y axis- Will be using V-groove bearings from VXB.com and steel angle sat on the legs so that the angle is the rolling surface. Again be driven by XL belt and pulley

Z axis- Will be using .5" unsupported Thompson rail and Igus sleeve bearings. Drive system will be a 1/2-10 single start acme lead screw and anti-backlash nut from Dumpstercnc.com

The electronics for the drive systems come from kelinginc.com and probotix.com, Im using Probostep drivers and the 289 ozin motors, C-10 BOB, and 36V power supply from Keling.

The machine frame will be built from MDF with bolts and cross dowels for fasteners. The design will be done with a moving gantry and designed similar to the solsylva design. The idea here is to eliminate flex from gantry uprights and be able to make the effective height taller or shorter buy adding or removing support legs.

One of the main uses for this machine will be to digitize surfaces of objects I would like to machine that have irregular shapes, like a door panel on a car for instance.

Ive started working on drawings for the machine over the last couple nights. I will be posting as I getting things into a point where people other then me can understand them

Ok then, its been what 2 months since I made that last post? Ha holidays are a killer on projects.

Anyway made some progress on the design and now have the electronics freed up that I needed so Im running out of excuses to not do this machine Heres a quick snap of the model as it sits.

Also dual z axis has been added to the testing gambit. One of the things I would like this machine to do is make PCB's or at least get me going on building a purpose built machine for that. It would be awesome to be able to run my trace cutter in one head and drill in the other. Maybe Im dreaming but that the whole point of this machine!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eddi-M.jpg  

Unsupported rails

Someday I have to figure how to use whatever software folks are using for simple 3d renderings. I like your picture!

Your gantry looks great but I'd reccommend against the unsupported rails that you move the gantry on. I used gas-pipe supported only at the ends for my first machine.. When the gantry was in the middle I would have noticable flex in the pipes.. I later swapped for solid steel drill-rod which helped but there was still measurable flex which just removed tolerance in all my cutting.

There are several designs like Joes DIY or commercial bearings that allow the rail to be secured to the CNC bed or some larger support piece.

Happy Building!

Mil
    ...time spent working on hobbies is not deducted from your lifespan...

They are 3/4" solid Thompson bearing rods. I know they are going to have a bit of slop, but the for the purposes of this machine I dont it will effect much. I may change them out at some point, but right now the goal is to keep the cost as close to zero as possible, and I already had these .

Also the software Im using is Pro-E. No simple 3D renders here

Oops

Good to hear...

While I was in the shower one day my kid (just graduated HS) whipped together a google sketchup of my fireplace and mantle... I was impressed.

I did not mean to say the bars would not work, for cutting circuit boards you're probably not going to load them much anyway.. My first machine gave me years of use and I still use it to cut vinyl It only becomes very apparent when you load down the router to aggressively cut wood. I was just surprised when I still had visible flex in 1" steel rods... (about a yard long)

Enjoy!

Mil
    ...time spent working on hobbies is not deducted from your lifespan...

Sketchup is an awesome software. Its really cool that you can snap out models so quickly and easily, for Free!

I appreciate the input! This hole machine is going to be about trying things that will probably not work haha.