587,141 active members*
4,113 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > SprutCAM high speed cut step over???

SprutCAM high speed cut step over???

So ive been having mixed results with the basic high speed cuts in sprutcam 9. The first time in read the instructions I interpreted it as the tool was to maintain contestant engagement and you defined that in the step over box?
    Today I was cutting deep pockets in 4140 steel with a 3/8 cutter. The cut was supposed to be .375 deep and 12%. (.045" step over). After some head scratching and taking a second look it seems as though the "step" is advancing much further than .045" and it bordering on 100% tool engagement.
    Does anyone have any words of wisdom on this function?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: SprutCAM high speed cut step over???

Yes, I've noticed the same issue!

My best guess is that they have reserved the constant-engagement toolpaths for their adaptive machining package. I see the dimmed out HSM constraint parameters which appear to be the ones we would need. One of the features listed for that package is "no slotting" in the generated toolpaths.

The best I have been able to achieve is to use stepover and corner rounding (about twice the tool radius), then carefully observe the toolpath and simulation to check that the tool never hits a corner or slot. If it does, I go back to Illustrator and generate a new shape that cuts out that part of the path and re-import it to Sprut. You can probably use the 2D tools to do the same inside Sprut, but I happen to have the original profile in Illustrator.

Once it all checks out, run the tool at half-depth on a scrap piece, listening for any changes in the sound of the cut. Then.. pray and run it full depth.

I haven't finished praying for my first part yet.. so good luck!
    --Bryan

I have limited experience with this parameter but here is what I have noticed so far.
    If I change the numbers under step parameters be it % of tool or distance of step, I need to select pcnc1100 icon "insert your machine name" at top of operations list and hit reset button to remove all check marks and force a complete recompile. Then run button to recalculate tool paths for all operations. If I don't do this it does not update values and it compiles with previous numbers or it does not even generate any tool paths at all in some cases.
    hope this helps
    md

I did some head scratching last night trying to visualize the tool step over vs pocket step. I drew a very simple picture to show %12 step over which is about 40 degrees of the tool. The image to the right was if i ran the tool into a flat face. I know its not a completely realistic representation but I think im on the right track. I downloaded HSM express for solidworks just to try a different tool path. My suspicion is that the basic HSM cuts in sprut are a tease to get you to buy the license which lets you use the smoothing features. Most of the chatter comes from the tool engaging the material too fast.

Attachment 272182

I gave up the other day and just programed the tool as if it were a full depth slot. It took forever. Everything came out great except the tool pulled out when finishing the stupid fins. You can see the chatter from when the tool was deep in the arc. Chip clearing was the killer on this part.
    Attachment 272184

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What additional license are we talking about?
    According to my Pro version it has everything "only limit is horse power of machine" Mill, Lathe, Plasma, Router, and a host of other uber high dollar tools.
    Guess I need to look at this again, The feature was not available in my version of 8 and looks new in 9, they might be working on the algorithms to improve it.
    Hard to say. Anyway

The free hsmexpress I understood is a 2.5d program and could not do the part profiles I see above.
    Is this correct?
    And or I need a better definition of 2d and 2.5d and 3 axis milling !
    Again I have no experience with this and its only what I read.
    Please explain difference.
    md

md

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    What additional license are we talking about?
    According to my Pro version it has everything "only limit is horse power of machine" Mill, Lathe, Plasma, Router, and a host of other uber high dollar tools.
    Guess I need to look at this again, The feature was not available in my version of 8 and looks new in 9, they might be working on the algorithms to improve it.
    Hard to say. Anyway

The free hsmexpress I understood is a 2.5d program and could not do the part profiles I see above.
    Is this correct?
    And or I need a better definition of 2d and 2.5d and 3 axis milling !
    Again I have no experience with this and its only what I read.
    Please explain difference.
    md

md
    I have the pro license as well. When I spoke with Tormach about the additional HSM smoothing adjustments they said they were still working with sprutcam on the price for that upgraded ability. The high speed cuts are new in Sprut 9 i think they were grayed out in 8.

2.5d refers to how many axes will move at one time. The part i posted above was all done with 2.5d effectively. It means that the Z axis will lower then only the X and Y will move hence the 2.5. 3 axis is for ball end mill profiling where all three axes move at the same time. HSM works the non free version give you the ability to waterline machine like we do in sprut. You can make that part with all 2.5d commands its just take more button clicking.
    Tim

Ok I was seeing compound curves in 3 directions hence 3 axis

Anyway good to know they are upgrading sprutcam " I think" Its the only cam software I have, I need to get the most out of it!
    Last couple months I have been using the sbl15 lathe machine module and post more then the mill. Learning how to setup lathe operations and design templates so I can load parts and setup turn operations with less effort. I have a dozen templates and another couple dozen predefined operations setup for the mill , oh and about 600 tools defined and ready to use. Still working on the lathe tool database. I guess they call it dog fooding when you setup stuff for future ease of use and its no fun to do.

md

Edit:
    Forgot to say what nice looking stuff you make on your mill! Complex, not your normal bracket with some holes.
    Happy tool paths.

Check out this video i found from Sandvick. Has some great equations as explanations of trochoidal milling. Including the pocket step which i was questioning earlier. They say it should be about 8% of the cutter.

CAM Programming Tip: Trochoidal Milling Sandvik Coromant - YouTube
    Tim

Here is a link to a Sandvick article on trochoidal milling. Those guys know their stuff!

http://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-u...s/default.aspx

+1 on Sandivik
    I keep the Sandivik Coromant training handbook on my desktop. Very fast to find information, equations.

One of my favorites

Attachment 272398

Some eye opening forces at work even scaled down!
    md

So now the ultimate question is how do you program the appropriate feed in Sprut cam to make the Trochoidal cutting optimal? Seeing the Tormach and Mach 3 are programed on the centerline i can seem to find a way to tell it maintain a calculated contract surface speed like you see a lathe do. The article mentions the controller handling that. The new Slant15 lathe can do it but my guess is it has a more advanced motor and controller. The best bet is to try to figure out what %to reduce the tools center line speed. More head scratching need.... Make much more sense now though!