587,541 active members*
5,996 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Rhinocam > New to RhinoCam, Rough Cutting? Help please.

New to RhinoCam, Rough Cutting? Help please.

Hello All.

Long Time, CAD guy. just starting to learn the CAM side of CAD/CAM.

Running RhinoCam. I've created loads of files for our CNC techs to cut. But have very little experience with the CAM. I have a very simple file. It's vector art created in Adobe Illustrator and imported into Rhino.

I am wondering which method of cutting I should use. I want to cut away everything that is white in the attached file. One shows the hatched/surface/objects the other is an outline. In my mind this is simple.

I was thinking I would just do a roughing pass, select my objects and Rhino Cam would carve out everything outside of those shapes...

But RhinoCam seems to ignore the shapes and just rough cut the entire surface instead of going around the paths. So obviously I do not understand all the cutting options.

What is the best way to set this up in RhinoCam?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you. See attached.

Re: New to RhinoCam, Rough Cutting? Help please.

Try a Facing operation instead; Roughing would be for a 3D object. Specify the size of your stock and pick a tool. Choose from the 2 axis options. Select the boundary curves of all the regions you want spared from a tool that will remove everything around them, down to a depth you can specify. Also, draw a rectangle around the whole area you want to make lower, then click "Generate" to produce the tool paths. You can choose to do most of it as a rough cut, then tell it to remove another thin layer to finish up, if you'd like.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I would suggest working through the tutorials within RhinoCam.It is one of the easier programs and is very powerful,once you understand how to use it.You may need a facing operation if the workpiece is in any way uneven and before creating the pocket,you absolutely need to verify that you have clean vector outlines of the art you imported.Once this is established you can pocket the areas that are not within the boundaries of the lettering.Some of those scrolls will be impossible with the size of tool that will make good progress in the more open areas and you may have to go back with something small.One of those tutorials will point you in the right direction.

Great. Thanks Awerby.

Can you clarify a bit on the second part. Draw a rectangle around the whole areas you want to make lower is that it's own tool path? Which operation would I select?

Thanks!!!!

That part isn't an operation; it's to define the region that the facing operation takes place in. The tool paths will appear in the area between the rectangle (or any other closed shape you draw) and the closed curves defining the letters or whatever else you want excluded from the machining operation.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Gotcha! That makes sense.

Thank you!