587,103 active members*
4,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 5 of 5 345
    Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    why do you think it essential that you have encoder feedback for your spindle?

Is it position capable or something?

I use 750W Delta B2 servos, it was the first time I'd used AC servos so I had a current monitor on each of them .Waste of time. 99.99% of the time they draw next to no current at all and only
    for a tenth of a second or so do they draw any real current. My estimate is that the closed loop steppers (being variable reluctance) will draw more than AC servos would.
    I personally would discount the 'current draw' argument if that is all that is stopping you from getting servos.

Personal experience is that servos EAT steppers, any stepper for breakfast!

Craig
    Hi Craig,

The spindle motor is a fanuc servo with a pulse generator encoder. If I wanted to do position monitoring for an atcdown the track, its helpful. Also, being able to monitor real time rpm and set torque requirements through the vfd will be advantageous.

I also agree, servos should outperform closed loop steppers, no argumentat all. That being said, i've not played with servos alot (a little in my job, but that's about it) I'm only going off the amperage draw charts that the manufacturers supply. I agree that the manufacturer usually will put worst case full load capacity on any chart they send out, so I was working with that.

The closed loop steppers I currently use, are 12nm nema 34's, they draw about 2 amps each on full load on single phase 240v. I'm curious as to what anyone has measured on a 1kw servo on a machine of similar size.

Thankyou,

Shane Barnett

Re: ZENFORD ZEIGLER Vertical Mill retrofit

Hi,
    my 750W servos draw about 100mA from a 230VAC supply. Only when they have to supply torque do they start using current. My machine weighs 800 kg, so the X axis table weighs about 200kg.
    The X axis servo never goes over an 1A or so in my observation.

Craig

Hi,
    my 750W servos draw about 100mA from a 230VAC supply. Only when they have to supply torque do they start using current. My machine weighs 800 kg, so the X axis table weighs about 200kg.
    The X axis servo never goes over an 1A or so in my observation.

Craig
    Hi Craig,

Thats what I needed to hear. My machine weighs close to 3200kg, the x+y table weighs about 350kg and can take about another 350kg on the table. It is running linear bearings, so its very light to move considering its weight.

I'll have another look at servos. The original dead dc servos were rated to 6nm and Max at 12nm, they were also mounted to reduction gearboxes of a 4:1 ratio. I'll see what's available to replicate the same torque rating. I know modern AC servos will eat 40yr old DC servos all day, every day.

Thanks,

Shane Barnett

Hi Shane,
    I use Delta servos on the basis of performance and cost.

There are cheaper Chinese made servos, and while I have no doubt they work, they have poor documentation, questionable backup and often no set up and tuning software....not recommended.

Delta is a Taiwanese brand made in China, and DMM is a Canadian brand made in China. Both are good quality, performance and backup and most importantly with good setup and tuning software
    at fair prices. To be sure they are more than el-cheapo Chinese, but neither are they eye-watering Yaskawa or Siemens.

750W Delta B2's I buy for $438USD/kit (servo, drive and cables) and are pretty good value for money. 2.4Nm rated and 7.1Nm overload, 3000rpm rated, 5000rpm max.
    You might be tempted to go bigger, although I can attest to how damn fast and powerful these 750W units are, but these 1.5kW B2's are 130mm frame for 7.2Nm rated, 21Nm overload
    at 2000rpm rated and 3000rpm max for $750USD/kit

https://www.fasttobuy.com/cnc-router...le_p28102.html

These are the 750W units, I've bought ten of them over 3.5 years at this price:

https://www.fasttobuy.com/flange-80m...er_p28084.html

Craig

Hi Shane,
    I use Delta servos on the basis of performance and cost.

There are cheaper Chinese made servos, and while I have no doubt they work, they have poor documentation, questionable backup and often no set up and tuning software....not recommended.

Delta is a Taiwanese brand made in China, and DMM is a Canadian brand made in China. Both are good quality, performance and backup and most importantly with good setup and tuning software
    at fair prices. To be sure they are more than el-cheapo Chinese, but neither are they eye-watering Yaskawa or Siemens.

750W Delta B2's I buy for $438USD/kit (servo, drive and cables) and are pretty good value for money. 2.4Nm rated and 7.1Nm overload, 3000rpm rated, 5000rpm max.
    You might be tempted to go bigger, although I can attest to how damn fast and powerful these 750W units are, but these 1.5kW B2's are 130mm frame for 7.2Nm rated, 21Nm overload
    at 2000rpm rated and 3000rpm max for $750USD/kit

https://www.fasttobuy.com/cnc-router...le_p28102.html

These are the 750W units, I've bought ten of them over 3.5 years at this price:

https://www.fasttobuy.com/flange-80m...er_p28084.html

Craig
    Hi Craig, thanks for that, I can get delta's locally for relatively cheap pricing (I'm in Melbourne Australia) the only Chinese servos I've seen with any tuning software are from Hanpose. That being said, I've used yaksawa in my job (very expensive) and fanuc (you better believe they are expensive! Lol) both are great, but my behind would hurt for some time after purchase.

Deltas would be my go to.

Thankyou,

Shane Barnett

How much do they want for Deltas locally? (I'm in NSW)

I bought mine OS, really just assumed they would be super expensive in Aus
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    How much do they want for Deltas locally? (I'm in NSW)

I bought mine OS, really just assumed they would be super expensive in Aus
    I'll get a quote when I'm back home (another week) and let you know.

Cheers,

Shane Barnett

Page 5 of 5 345