586,991 active members*
4,015 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end
Page 8 of 184 6789101858108
    That looks a larger than I thought it would be. Post more pictures please.

Hi Skyfire, I hope that paint is lead free.....there is a big drive for lead free paint products.

Wow.....if that machine comes out at UNDER $5K it'll be a winner in just the basic form without an extra long table.

I would think that an enclosure would add tremendous bulk to a shipping item, unless it was in flat form, (still large panels) whereas electonics etc could be part of the machine and in the packing case.

In that case the enclosure could be supplied in flat form in a seperate packing case as an optional extra.

The only variables I would think to be practical would be the size of the stepper motors and a spindle, possibly with a VFD, but as many import VFD's have a reputation of going pear shaped and expensive to replace, maybe the VFD could be optional

Most of the VFD's are imports anyway, so this could be a "leave out" factor that would achieve reliability, seeing as the importers would stock the items and a replacement would only take days to replace from the local market.

If included in the mill package I would like to see the VFD as a tested and recomended item, not the cheapest, but best bang for the buck, as this is an item that will cop a load of useage and a failure would mean total loss of function....IE the time frame for a return to an overseass supplier versus a local supplier.

BTW, now that the perspective is apparent, the column does look a bit too narrow and "pencil slim" in the base footprint....I would have thought that a broader base tapering from from bottom to top would be a better resistance to cutter thrust when the head is up the column....not such a problem when lower down the column.

I base this observation on the "stick out" formular for boring bar diam/length ratios of 4:1 where the bar will deflect when it gets to 6:1 under a load.....not so much a factor for a finish cut, but when a light finishing cut is applied a resonance vibration can appear when the cut is resisted and the bar vibrates like a tuning fork.

A triangle is a strongest form for stability, and I would have had the column tapering or larger backwards for this effect.....it appears to be 8:1 at the moment.

Was there a real design reason for the column to be parallel all the way to the top?

This would mean the base casting would have to be increased backwards by an amount, but as it is just static metal the cost is only iron per extra Kg.

I may be totally wrong in this observation, as the machine is a dedicated CNC one and therefore the cutting forces would be much lower having thinner chip thicknesses and more cuts as opposed to the more massive cutter loading that manual mills use, due to the time it takes to reset the cut for practical metal removal.

If it's under $5K it'll win.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbie99 View Post
    This is my favorite thread on the forum.

I love seeing your updates.

For the right price I would be very keen to buy one of these.

R
    Hi Dubbie99, Thank you for your attention in my thread~

I'm sure this machine will be at a right price for you guys.. I will update the price issue when I finishing the machine building. There are still many works to do now. Cheers~~
    www.skyfirecnc.com
    Email: [email protected]; Skype: skyfirecnc

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwatchers View Post
    If you do customization, the time and headache can go up dramatically. I would offer two basic versions like tormach and if the market has good reception, then I would offer custom kits to add. There is also the matter of shipping, to make any economic sense you need to ship quite a few units.
    Hi Winterwatchers, Thank you for your notice. Yes, I realized that the shipping issue will be a cost problem considering enclosre may cause much larger size. So I'm thinking of the basic version in compact size and more economic configration. It's really will be some more complex of customization than just building one machine. But I have many experiences on business too, so I'm not worry much here~

Thanks again.
    www.skyfirecnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    Its good idea. You can sell machine part such as spindle, milling head, etc.
    Hi, Thanks man. I think it will work and I'm planning the details of website issue now..

Yes, I think I can sell some DIY parts also. Maybe will be some helpful to CNC DIYers.. Welcome more ideas here~~
    www.skyfirecnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by slowlearner View Post
    That looks a larger than I thought it would be. Post more pictures please.
    Hi slowlearner. Yes, I will post more pictures here on every step I proceed. And will post many pictures from many angles after finishing. So, Please keep your attention here, and welcome any comment. :cheers:
    www.skyfirecnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi Skyfire, I hope that paint is lead free.....there is a big drive for lead free paint products.

Wow.....if that machine comes out at UNDER $5K it'll be a winner in just the basic form without an extra long table.

I would think that an enclosure would add tremendous bulk to a shipping item, unless it was in flat form, (still large panels) whereas electonics etc could be part of the machine and in the packing case.

In that case the enclosure could be supplied in flat form in a seperate packing case as an optional extra.

The only variables I would think to be practical would be the size of the stepper motors and a spindle, possibly with a VFD, but as many import VFD's have a reputation of going pear shaped and expensive to replace, maybe the VFD could be optional

Most of the VFD's are imports anyway, so this could be a "leave out" factor that would achieve reliability, seeing as the importers would stock the items and a replacement would only take days to replace from the local market.

If included in the mill package I would like to see the VFD as a tested and recomended item, not the cheapest, but best bang for the buck, as this is an item that will cop a load of useage and a failure would mean total loss of function....IE the time frame for a return to an overseass supplier versus a local supplier.

BTW, now that the perspective is apparent, the column does look a bit too narrow and "pencil slim" in the base footprint....I would have thought that a broader base tapering from from bottom to top would be a better resistance to cutter thrust when the head is up the column....not such a problem when lower down the column.

I base this observation on the "stick out" formular for boring bar diam/length ratios of 4:1 where the bar will deflect when it gets to 6:1 under a load.....not so much a factor for a finish cut, but when a light finishing cut is applied a resonance vibration can appear when the cut is resisted and the bar vibrates like a tuning fork.

A triangle is a strongest form for stability, and I would have had the column tapering or larger backwards for this effect.....it appears to be 8:1 at the moment.

Was there a real design reason for the column to be parallel all the way to the top?

This would mean the base casting would have to be increased backwards by an amount, but as it is just static metal the cost is only iron per extra Kg.

I may be totally wrong in this observation, as the machine is a dedicated CNC one and therefore the cutting forces would be much lower having thinner chip thicknesses and more cuts as opposed to the more massive cutter loading that manual mills use, due to the time it takes to reset the cut for practical metal removal.

If it's under $5K it'll win.
    Ian.
    Hi my friend, I'm very appreciate for the very valuable comments you always have:cheers:

I don't think the current current bottom paint is lead free. I used just the common pait in market. But lead free paints are also easily avaliable too. So If necessory that will be no problem to use lead free type in real production.

I do think the price will not be over $5k, As a product engineer, I will alway think cost issue together with functional desgin. I will not make some parts of the cost extreamly high, and not very low (that always means poor quality or weak point). I would like to be make most reasonable and balanced combind of all materials. So roughly I guess the price will be around $3.5K. This is my basic plan now. We will see the last calculation when all building works done.

Yes, I do realized that the enclosure will be a big effector on shipping cost issue. So at least one basic version with compact size will be necessory. I'm considering how to arrange the electric parts and electric box/panel now.

Even the version with enclosure, I will make it as smaller size as possible.

And, you have a very good point on the VFD issue. I can understand this point and as you side, It will be much easier for both customer and my side for fixing issues. So, I will take your advise to make the VFD as an optional item.

I have a VFD developed by my own engineer also and have sold many in last three years, mostly to oversea market. The interesting point of this VFD is that it has programable IOs that can directly support the PWM/DIRECTION signals from CNC software like MACH software. so the signal transfer boad from PWM to VOLTAGE signals are not necessory. I will show it later in this thread and make some introductions.

And, the points on the column is very important issue too. I had considered much on this part and had thought of the triangle shape, inverted "Y" shape etc. I din't go with the "most proffesional" way here becuase at last I thought it's not that necessory on this part considering the practical cutting needs for this machine. And, ofcourse, It's related to building cost issue, part installation issue too. So here is some real needs to make the column this way.

It's very interating that you give the bar diam/length ratio to estimate the stifness of the column. I think it is a experienced number here.

I do measured the ratio of the column part and the ratio is 3.6:1(X direction)and 6.8:1(Y direction). Maybe it looks more thinner from the pictures. just a photo shooting angle issue I think. I think most cutting will not force the head upto the top of the column, mostly are at middle possition or even higher, so the real cutting position ratio will not be over 4:1.

So I think the ratio is still within the acceptable range under real cutting height, and I really made the column in thick wall(12-14mm). so that's should be no problem here. But I will do some more tests then.

Thank you again for many important comments. I have finished the formal paining works today and I will update the finished colors tonight. :cheers:
    www.skyfirecnc.com

Hi guys, I have finished the painting last night. here is the last color way now...
    two colors for a machine body.

www.skyfirecnc.com

clearned the paints from the rails and mounting surface. I moved it to the room and will install all parts formally now!

www.skyfirecnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    clearned the paints from the rails and mounting surface. I moved it to the room and will install all parts formally now!

Looking awful sweet!!!

John

Hmmmmm, my humble opinion.....love the blue, 10/10, orange is not my favourite colour, 1/10....LOL.....maybe a deeper tone like burnt orange (overall) which has a brown toning to it.
    Ian.

Re: how to make laser machine

Nice pics but you have to add the more pics of full CNC laser machines...
    you can get easily find the answer if you post the full images of the laser machine...
    Ya, the color combination is best and the also suitable for the machines...

You can get the best knowledge of the laser machine from the needham-laser also...
    needham-laser.com

skyfire,
    Why do you have linear bearing longer than frame?

Quote Originally Posted by WoodSpinner View Post
    Looking awful sweet!!!

John
    Thank you WoodSpinner, Welcome any comment here~
    www.skyfirecnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hmmmmm, my humble opinion.....love the blue, 10/10, orange is not my favourite colour, 1/10....LOL.....maybe a deeper tone like burnt orange (overall) which has a brown toning to it.
    Ian.
    Hi buddy, I can see that you really love the dark and cold color ways..haha.

I'm thinking maybe I should have at least two colorways for choice?
    www.skyfirecnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by esmondperry View Post
    Nice pics but you have to add the more pics of full CNC laser machines...
    you can get easily find the answer if you post the full images of the laser machine...
    Ya, the color combination is best and the also suitable for the machines...

You can get the best knowledge of the laser machine from the needham-laser also...
    Hi man, Thank you for your advise. Yes. I will update many pictures of the finished machine here when I finish it. But it's not a laser machine...
    www.skyfirecnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    skyfire,
    Why do you have linear bearing longer than frame?
    Hi asuratman, the longger rails are used to support the axis covers. I should be able to install the axis covers soon, so you will see how it works. :cheers:
    www.skyfirecnc.com

Great stuff.
    Much more dedicated than the off the shelf parts I used. I do have a similar type mill here that will get the same treatment you are to your castings. One of these days. For now, mine suffices well enough. Big stuff I do manually on the bigger mill. What a workout.

I think the colors are very nice looking. Once in a finished dressed out machine, the color will not be as big a concern. No one will say it's a Seig or Tormach. They will be saying it's a Skyfire.
    Lee

Hi Lee, Thank you for your points. I'll do my best to make the machine some special than other brands.

I'm designing the electric box these two days and it's not an easy part because of compact size and must balance many features like input/output connetors, heat dissipation, wire rounting and even EMI issues together. I think it will take several days to solve this issue. The target will be:

1. compact size for such small machine. I don't plan to use any cheap or simple PCB parts, so will have many "big" parts inside. This will bring me some challange to make the total electric box compact size.

2. transformer power suppy system. I don't want to use switch power for drivers because transformers have much better load features. at least 4 axis support.

3. extra driver position for 4 axis expandable.

4. enough spindle driver installation room to install many brand BLDC drivers or VFDs. So this is a consideration for user self-selecting VFDs.

5. have a control pannel with power switch, ESTOP button, and some simple LED indicators to show machine status.

6. most optimized wire routing. etc.

I have finished the main machine body assembling now. here is the current pictures:
    BTW. the new version of the forum seems response slower than before, and I can't quote the inputs..
    www.skyfirecnc.com

I'm sorry I found the forum couldn't load the image last night and even couldn't open the thread then ... The new version seems response slower than before. I will upload the pictures slightly later.
    www.skyfirecnc.com

Page 8 of 184 6789101858108