585,930 active members*
3,716 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

XHC wireless pendant

Hello,
    I just received my wireless pendant from ebay and set it up per included instructions. using mach3 with a uc100
    everything seems to work great in step and continuous mode.
    When I chose the MPG mode under jog screen(Tab) nothing happens. is there a set up step in ports and pins that I am missing.
    How does the MPG mode work? seems like I cant get the shuttle option because the MPG does not work.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    HT

Also on uc100 input output monitor screen I am getting flashing led for output pin 2 (x axis) while the MPG is selected, I get the same led during continuous mode.
    changing the axis to y I get an output signal on pin 4 and so on.

Hello Haikt,
    I am Frank and I ordered the wireless Xhc Shuttle Pro pendant... I got it working quite well... I installed the macros they supplied and modified them to work with my screenset from Gerry21 who designed the 2010 Screenset. I love the pendant... but I'm having trouble figuring out the setups in Mach3 or whatever else needs to be done to get smooth motion from the round wheel. it works.. it moves... but not as fluid and controlled as I expected.
    How is your experience? I tried figuring out any ports/pins that would need to be configured... but I guess it doesn't work because it is hooked up through wireless USB....

New information Regarding the Xhc Shuttle Pro Pendant,
    I still can't get as smooth a motion from this pendant, as when I use the analog Joystik sticks on the Xbox controller...
    But here are a few neat things I did do with it...

There are 5 custom macro buttons on the pendant.... I put tape over them and labeled them for the feature I wanted...
    Then... in the setting for the pendant... you get to put the macro file you want to run.. when you press that button...
    So, for example... in Gerry's Mach 2010 Screenset... which many people love... you have buttons on top of the screen, which run macros for "Park" position, or "tool Change" position. You can set the buttons to run those macros, which end up doing the same exact thing as pressing the icons on the screen... That alone makes the Pendant worth it so far... I also us the customizable buttons to do the "initial tool depth probe" or the "simple tool depth" probe.... It is working well so far.

Re: XHC wireless pendant

to download the xhc shuttlepro-whb04 driver,please visit our web:http://www.cdxhctech.com/html/downloads/view_119.html

I think the 3.5.9 drivers may be a new rev.

I used the mpg for awhile setting up my 4x8 router the last few nights. I did notice the display blink out like it lost communication but it wasn't keeping me from doing things.

What I'm bummed about is the handwheel motion. It's a single fixed speed, which means it's really not different than pressing a button. That is, there's a"fast" setting where it moves in about 1/2" increments at a constant speed. There's also a "slow" setting which moves in small incremental steps, like 0.02". However, spinning the handwheel faster in either mode doesn't actually move the axis faster. Rather, it just stays in motion at the same speed for as long as you're turning the handwheel. So it's not acting like a handwheel, it's not a handwheel if the speed you turn it has no effect. Also that means it "loses" steps when turned quickly, so rotating 3 turns clockwise quickly and then 3x counterclockwise slowly will not return the axis to the same position even though the handwheel is in the same position, so there's no direct relationship between handwheel position and axis position.

I was wondering if there's any way to change that? The XHC documentation's real limited here.

What I want is for it to
    1) go slowly if the handwheel's turning slowly
    2) go quickly if the handwheel's spun quickly and
    3) make a consistent relationship between the handwheel position and axis position.

Number 3) there, that does have a danger, that if you spin it faster than the axis moves, it'll cache the motion and may take some time to catch up so it will stay in motion after the handwheel is stopped, in order to get to that position.

I guess that also means I'd want:

4) be able to change back the target on-the-fly. That is, say the axis is slow and you've spun the wheel clockwise so it's been commanded to move 10" further than it actually has gone at this moment. But you decide that's too far and turn the handwheel back CCW 2". It need to go 8" and stop, not cache the moves where it goes to 10" and back to 8".

And I know that one seems difficult. If I'm using the MDI and enter "G0 X10" and then enter "G0 X8", it can't possibly modify the X10 move and stop at X8.

When user switch to xhc shuttle MPG mode. You have two modes to choose.

1. First Please into “config plugins” and choose our plugin “shuttlepro …”,in the mcro-1 combox,please choose “MPG Increase mode”.press ok and exit.
    2. When you press Macro-1 key on handwheel,you could switch between the mode “Step”

And “velocity “ mode when in MPG state.

1. Mpg step mode is like the step mode,which will accurate trace the handwheel step.mpg velocity mode is like continue mode,which will run faster with handwheel speed.
    2. There is no necessary to caliberate our handwheel. There is no necessary to enable MPG#1 or encoders in “the ports and pins” conig.all will be ok if you have install our plugin.

Quote Originally Posted by xhcchao View Post
    When user switch to xhc shuttle MPG mode. You have two modes to choose.

1. First Please into “config plugins” and choose our plugin “shuttlepro …”,in the mcro-1 combox,please choose “MPG Increase mode”.press ok and exit.
    2. When you press Macro-1 key on handwheel,you could switch between the mode “Step”

And “velocity “ mode when in MPG state.

1. Mpg step mode is like the step mode,which will accurate trace the handwheel step.mpg velocity mode is like continue mode,which will run faster with handwheel speed.
    2. There is no necessary to caliberate our handwheel. There is no necessary to enable MPG#1 or encoders in “the ports and pins” conig.all will be ok if you have install our plugin.
    OK, I did this- it's "better" in some ways, but it still doesn't make any attempt to encode the handwheel position. I turn it fast 3 turns, then turn back 3 turns slow, and it won't be in the same position. The handwheel isn't a handwheel.

yes,for safety we don't do that like you want

This isn't any "safer" really. If you can do this mode, you should make it available.

The controller is nice. I like it. But I don't know why you'd build a handwheel and not make it work like a handwheel encoder but just an arrow key.

thank you for your advice,we will build the third encoder mode in the mpg mode!

What is the most current date for the Shuttlepro.dll, I am also having the same problem with my new wireless Xhc pendant.

I did xhcchao suggestion on using MACRO#1 and selected "MPG inc" which works better with less hesitation and slightly more repeatable. The only problem that I'm still having is the Xhc display does not change in either the Manual or Auto modes. The display seems to be set with random numbers and not receiving inputs and only the outputs. Could I have the wrong driver, DLL (8/29/2012). or configuration? Bob

Display problem solved by using the most current DLL so now I get full control and display. When I rotate the MPG 2 full turns I get .100" displayed with a .001" jog step setting.
    Now a new problem. When I turn the lathe spindle on, which is VFD controlled and not touching anything, I get a X or Z jump every 10 seconds. The stepper jumps and causes a .5" movement dependent on the X or Z axis selection only when the Xhc is turned on. This happens regardless of which DLL I use. This is a new problem and only started this week. I'm assuming that it is noise being generated from the VFD as it only happens when the spindle is turning. Will shielded cable between the VFD and motor help and what is the best technique in testing and eliminating VFD noise? Thanks Bob

VFDs are notoriously noisy. If you've got a problem like that, best to stop the problem at its source. Your VFD manual may have a schematic with specific purchasable components. The noise may be radiating from the power line but it may also be radiating from the wiring between the VFD and the spindle.

Hello, I received yesterday my wireless pendant WHB04-L and I was impressed by the good build quality.
    But after I plugged and set it up in mach3 I became so disappointed...

For me the handwheel is the most valuable part as I need to work in manual mode. But it does not come near to how a handwheel is supposed to work. It looses lots of steps. Faster I turn the wheel, more the steps it looses. Even if turn one single step sometimes it is not executed in mach3 but the pendant led is pulsing.

Is it a wireless communication problem? Is the USB version working as it should?

It is a good thing that the manufacturer is present here on the forum, and I'm expecting more involvement in solving the problem.

It IS a configuration problem! I was plagued with poor dynamics (in my wireless), but it's much better now. I am not 100% sure what I did that "fixed" it.

I'll try to take a video showing what it can do when it's working well.

With the latest plugin version, the MPG mode is visible improved but it still looses a lot of steps.

This is a perfect approach:
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanoMan View Post
    What I want is for it to
    1) go slowly if the handwheel's turning slowly
    2) go quickly if the handwheel's spun quickly and
    3) make a consistent relationship between the handwheel position and axis position.

Number 3) there, that does have a danger, that if you spin it faster than the axis moves, it'll cache the motion and may take some time to catch up so it will stay in motion after the handwheel is stopped, in order to get to that position.

I guess that also means I'd want:

4) be able to change back the target on-the-fly. That is, say the axis is slow and you've spun the wheel clockwise so it's been commanded to move 10" further than it actually has gone at this moment. But you decide that's too far and turn the handwheel back CCW 2". It need to go 8" and stop, not cache the moves where it goes to 10" and back to 8".

And I know that one seems difficult. If I'm using the MDI and enter "G0 X10" and then enter "G0 X8", it can't possibly modify the X10 move and stop at X8.
    And the most important thing is not to loose any steps. Otherwise what's the reason to have a 50 steps per rev. marked handwheel? I'm way more happy with my JoyPad for free non-incremental movement.

Quote Originally Posted by xhcchao View Post
    thank you for your advice,we will build the third encoder mode in the mpg mode!
    This is how to do it:

Never issue a big motion command at once. If user has turned handwheel fast and the target is 40 inches away now and Mach3 config allows max 600 ipm, don't issue a single 40 inch move at 600 ipm that takes 4 seconds.

If the target is >10 inches away, issue a fast 600 ipm command, but not to 40 inches, maybe only 2 inches at 600 ipm followed by another 2 inches at 600 ipm followed by another 2 inches at 600 ipm. It's important to have a second command after the first so Mach3 knows it should not slow to a stop after the first 2" and then start and only go 2" and stop again. The plugin must look at "how fast did the user configure this axis? What is the minimum I have to issue the commands ahead so Mach3 does not slow down between commands?" If user had 600 ip = 10 inches/sec and 40 in/sec/sec acceleration, Mach3 will slow or stop if it does not have a command to keep going for more than 1/4 sec because it does not know if it needs to stop and needs 1/4 sec to stop. If user moves handwheel fast and target is far away, if driver issues moves for 2.5in @ 600 ipm followed by another 2.5 in @ 600 ipm it will stay at 600 ipm but can still be stopped by changing the move.

So if the user turns the wheel back, it can stop its motion before going 40inches and go to where the user says. More important, you can change speed and go fast if the target is a long way but slow if it's nearby. So it doesn't jerk hard to do little steps.

If I had your source code I could write this very well. I know you don't want to do that but people could write code for a product like that easily. The physical part is the expensive thing. The driver to use it is easy, and if someone copied your product they would just copy the compiled driver anyways.

Fast/slow should not be a mode button like a CAPS LOCK key, but temporary, like a SHIFT key. Hold down the button while turning wheel to go fast, but always slow when not holding button. The button needs to be a thumb button on the side though, and that's a physical change. I know this is expensive, but important. Your product is good and worth the fix!

The go-fast button needs to be on the left and right so a left-handed user can hold it too.

There is a bug somewhere. Sometimes when I move handwheel, the steppers stall. The acceleration and speed set in Mach3 always work for G-code running with no stall ever. I can run 2x higher and not stall. But some XHC handwheel motion sometimes stalls. I don't know yet what mode does it. But it can. This means the plugin somehow does not work with Mach3 and is not following the acceleration limits in the configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by paulus.v View Post
    With the latest plugin version, the MPG mode is visible improved but it still looses a lot of steps.

This is a perfect approach:

And the most important thing is not to loose any steps. Otherwise what's the reason to have a 50 steps per rev. marked handwheel? I'm way more happy with my JoyPad for free non-incremental movement.
    When I played with the configuration, I did get it so the machine followed the handwheel... kinda. It will still lose steps. But if I'm setting the Z-height by slipping paper under it, I get the right feel with the control so I can move large or small distances.

Page 1 of 2 12