584,871 active members*
5,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > x2 cncfusion kit#2 - Problem with Z axis binding

x2 cncfusion kit#2 - Problem with Z axis binding

Hi guys,

Last weekend I finally mounted my cncfusion #2 kit on the Sieg X2 mini mill. I have a big problem on the Z axis. Cncfusion is not replying to my emails.

When I mounted the ballnut block on the side of machine, with the 2 snugly fit screws and the 12mm bolt, the Z motor mount was like slightly behind the column, I was able to to pull it forward a bit with loose screws; holding the shaft by hand, and tighten the screws back in. Now the back of the Z motor mount was nice flush with the column.
    The biggest problem is, the ballscrew was slightly leaning to the right. Aligning the Z motor mount, looking at the center screw (from plastic stop on column), I had to pull the ballscrew slightly to the left, to get the center hole aligned with the center hole in the column. The Z motor mount sits nice flush on top of the column and I continued drilling the 2 holes and put the screw and nut in. Again, Z motor mount sits flush on top of column, center screw nicely aligned with the hole in the column, but I had to slightly pull the ballscrew to the left to accomplish this. And this is where the problem lies.

I put up a video on youtube that shows the movements. The Z axis goes kinda down easy, but up is a problem halfway, I hear click click click by ballscrew nut.
    the video is here: X2 cnc conversion - cncfusion kit - YouTube

I have a feeling that the bore of the ballnut block is not perpendicular with the edge so that's why the ballscrew is not straight? I mean, the ballnut block is flush mounted on the edge of the column, why is the ballscrew not straight?

Can you help me out please?

Same parts here. I found that your focus when assembling the Z ball screw should be totally on getting the screw straight and parallel - don't worry about the various "pieces" aligning with other pieces - just get the screw straight and parallel and all will fall in. Loosen the attachment bolts on the nut mount and the motor mount so the mounts will move with a LITTLE force - run the head up and down and "help" align the blocks while watching the screw travel. Eventually, you will get a "feel" for how things interact and should be able to get things aligned. This part took me the longest to get aligned! My Grizzly setup is a "mongrel" in that I first bought a Large Table and adapted it to CNC (left my mill alone so I could make mods to the Large table as I adapted it), then replaced the standard table once the CNC was working 100%. I am now about 85-90% done and so far I am very pleased. I decided to go the LinuxCNC route, so I am now in the process of wrapping my head around that! So far, also pleased with that part too. All around, it has been a real fun project. You need to be very patient!

Good luck.

hi pws, thanks for your reply, that's exactly what I did yesterday, I noticed the side mount block is not 90 straight due to the holes in the block not being on the same position as on my machine. I took them out, pulled it straight and drilled a 3 hole and tapped thread. Now this side block is straight. Now, on the top Z axis motor mount, I have to do thesame thing. Those holes are like 4mm off.
    I posted two more videos showing what I mean.:

X2 Mini Mill Cncfusion kit problem - Z Axis issue 1 - YouTube

and

X2 Mini Mill Cncfusion kit problem - Z Axis issue 2 - YouTube

cncfusion never answered. I am not happy being this money and having all this trouble what I wanted to avoid in the first place

Attachment 190924
    measurement of sideblock from top edge

Attachment 190926
    measurement of sideblock from bottom top edge

Z axis motor mount holes not aligning, got to re-drill the holes in the mount and block!Attachment 190928

The clicking sound is not normal. Sounds like not enough balls and a lack of grease. I would return the z-axis to CNCfusion.

How does it feel and sound when you turn the ballnut by hand?

Re: x2 cncfusion kit#2 - Problem with Z axis binding

I have exactly the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinSD2 View Post
    I have exactly the same problem.
    If you mean "Problem with Z axis binding", then it is all about alignment - from end to end. You need to make the appropriate adjustments to each end. I have had mine off and on a few times and it takes a bit, but always manage to get the adjustments so there is free travel up and down to the ends. I originally had to modify one of the holes on the Mill column as the holes on the Mill didn't match the top plate, but no problems with binding.

Quote Originally Posted by pws View Post
    If you mean "Problem with Z axis binding", then it is all about alignment - from end to end. You need to make the appropriate adjustments to each end. I have had mine off and on a few times and it takes a bit, but always manage to get the adjustments so there is free travel up and down to the ends. I originally had to modify one of the holes on the Mill column as the holes on the Mill didn't match the top plate, but no problems with binding.

Thanks. I was told that the ways on the column were out of alignment so I just ordered a new column from LMS and will see if everything fits better with it and the cncfusion bolt on kit. Thanks for the reply. :-)

As I remember Michael @ CNCFusion is a hobbyist and does this part-time / has a real job to pay the bills so expect a delay for email.
    Its not the kit that is at fault its generally the very variable quality control from the mill manufacturers in China - a degree of 'fettling' is to be
    expected - its just not stated that explicitly in the sale blurb!

I love the cncfusion kit and believe that Michael was very helpful. It is the quality of the x2 mill from Harbour Freight that is in question. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk