585,708 active members*
3,828 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > X Axis Noisy & Rough Stepping. (Video)

X Axis Noisy & Rough Stepping. (Video)

Hi all,
    I still have issues with the X axis with rough stepping at different speeds during a cutting run.
    This is a dummy run to show the noisy stepping as it transitions through a run and this can happen from speeds as low as 40 IPM and up.
    It starts to lose a lot of steps above about 65 IPM in the X axis but the Y and Z will run quite OK up to a 100 IPM without dropping a step.
    This is after adding an Ethernet Smoothstepper overcome a PC issue I had and I'm now running from a Windows 7 Laptop so overall reliability has improved greatly with the Smoothstepper it's just I still have this problem with the X axis. Has anyone seen this problem and fixed it? any help here would be great.
    Video is HERE so you can have a listen to the noise its making. This happens on various GCode from the road runner test to code from Vectric Cut2D, some worse than others, all axis are set the same so there is no difference.
    I'm running a 48V supply to three drivers,
    My normal Mach3 settings are.
    200 steps per mm
    1100 mm/min = 43 IPM
    300mm acceleration

Thanks for any help offered.

Nico.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New-stepper-drivers.jpg   New-Driver.jpg  

Re: X Axis Noisy & Rough Stepping. (Video)

It sounds like resonance. To confirm, slowly increase the speed from zero. There will be several speeds where the mechanism vibrate.

Adding a mechanical resonance damper will eliminate the problem.

Yes, resonance. One way they work smoother is to microstep the drives. Assuming 200 steps per mm is 200 steps per revolution of the stepper motor on a 1mm pitch screw, Try reset to 2000 steps per revolution on the drivers and in mach3 set 2000 steps per mm. It should run much smoother.

Thanks guys,
    It's a 4 mm pitch and so I have the driver set to 800 steps per rev so I'll give the next step up to 1600 steps per rev a go and see how it performs.
    I did try this prior to fitting the Smoothstepper and I think it may have even been when I was still running my original driver board, the ubiquitous Toshiba 6560 single board 3 axis board.
    Strange that it's only happening on one drive though, anyway I'll try the easy steps first, micro stepping first, may even swap the X and Y motors just to confirm it's not one of those.
    If that doesn't work I'll make a damper for the motor.
    Stay tuned I guess and I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks

Nico.