585,962 active members*
4,147 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SheetCam > Which post Processor to use for Basic laser setup on a router

Which post Processor to use for Basic laser setup on a router

I have a cnc router which I have recently added a laser cutter to. I'm currently using the generic "mach3" post processor in sheetcam. The laser is powered off my spindle control power. I did some initial test cuts and it worked pretty good. My rapid is fast enough that it moves across the work so quickly that the laser does not leave too much of a mark, but i want to set it up so the post processor turns on and off the spindle for each cut so that there are no marks between the cuts.

This is all home built so there is not a brand I can choose from the list. Any idea on a post processor that would work for this?

Thanks here is a video of the first tests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPjHpUH9Zic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPjHpUH9Zic
    Desert Fabworks LLC -Fort Mohave, Arizona
    www.desertfabworks.com - Project Sites: www.cncplasmabuild.com - www.cncrouterbuild.com

Re: Which post Processor to use for Basic laser setup on a router

Anyone?
    www.desertfabworks.com - Project Sites: www.cncplasmabuild.com - www.cncrouterbuild.com

Hi
    If you use Mach3 software, you can use it's Plasma shortcut to make your PC to Plasma CNC machine, with one you can use some relay command from Mach3 to On/ OFF laser power.
    You better use AC servo motor to increase the speed( I thing you are using step motor now).
    Could you shared your idea about the design and making of laser source with us, or cuold you sell it? Please contact me at: [email protected].
    Nam

I already have mach3 and I'm using the on off in Mach for control but plasma operates different from a laser especially in an engraving situation. I need a sheetcam post processor that is specific to laser to control rapid on and offs of the laser during the cut. The stepper motors are plenty fast no need for servos. I get 600 ipm on a 15 x 15 table no point to have a servo. All the info for the laser is in the links in the video.