584,841 active members*
4,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Which CAD to choose?

Hi all.

I'm looking at CAD software, and there are so many on the market. So I'm hoping to get some input and advice in here. Some of you have probably worked in several different ones and have a good basis for comparison.

I need a CAD that can communicate with EdgeCam, that is must.

I need to make simple parts, drawings, assemblies (10-20 parts) and sheet metal.

It would be very nice to be able to make mould tools, but this is more nice-to-have than need-to-have.

Another important thing to mention is that I work in a small company, so that software must be fairly cheap, and there is no need to have access to databases with shared documents. It will run on one and the same computer, no sharing.

Regards,
    Lene

Re: Which CAD to choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Lene Madsen View Post
    Hi all.

I'm looking at CAD software, and there are so many on the market. So I'm hoping to get some input and advice in here. Some of you have probably worked in several different ones and have a good basis for comparison.

I need a CAD that can communicate with EdgeCam, that is must.

I need to make simple parts, drawings, assemblies (10-20 parts) and sheet metal.

It would be very nice to be able to make mould tools, but this is more nice-to-have than need-to-have.

Another important thing to mention is that I work in a small company, so that software must be fairly cheap, and there is no need to have access to databases with shared documents. It will run on one and the same computer, no sharing.

Regards,
    Lene
    I don't think you will get by on the "cheap" so to speak. I think you should look at Solidworks (about $4000.00 USD). It can do all you want including mould tools. It also integrates with Edgecam. I picked this off the Edgecam website: News Articles | The latest news from Vero Software - Combining SolidWorks And Edgecam, Featuring At SolidWorks Exhibition

Mike

Re: Which CAD to choose?

look at fusion 360 by autodesk. 300.00 per year, until 12/15, I think. 3 axis cam and 3d drawing