584,860 active members*
4,928 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Where to hook up an e-stop button?

Where to hook up an e-stop button?

I have a Sunwin TB6560 "all-in-one" controller board that runs through my computer's USB port (I bought it before I knew how "bad" TB6560 boards are supposed to be; this one seems to work fine upon testing, though, so we shall see.) Here is a link to the board I have (no, I didn't get it from Aliexpress; it was cheaper on EBay and at least I'd have buyer protection...): Aliexpress.com : Buy Free shipping 4 Axis Nema23 3.0A Stepper Motor USB Driver Board, TB6560 USB CNC DIY Controller from Reliable driver board suppliers on SUNWIN. Software is CNC-USB from Planet CNC. It is supposed to be able to support two limit switches per axis, though I don't see how I will be putting a limit switch on my rotary table once I convert it. What I am wondering, though, is where I might install an e-stop switch? I have an e-stop switch on my Sieg X2, but that only shuts the spindle down; it won't stop the stepper motor movement.

Re: Where to hook up an e-stop button?

I think it's where you feel safe having it.

I believe it's supposed to be wired in series with the coil on a contactor, that controls current flow to your drives and spindle. (most safe)

Other options are wiring it to the enable inputs on your drives (less safe)
    or just wiring it to an input on the control to shut off motion (least safe)

Quote Originally Posted by alan_3301 View Post
    I believe it's supposed to be wired in series with the coil on a contactor, that controls current flow to your drives and spindle. (most safe)
    I'm afraid I don't understand what that means. Would that be an obviously recognizable component on the board?

What about simply shutting down the power going to the motors, like in the positive line from the 24v external power supply? Would that work, or would that likely cause damage to my driver board or motors?

Depends if you want to do it according to code or accepted industry standard, the E-Stop string should be a hard wired string with all limits, P.B.'s etc ANDed together and the final result ends with a E-stop relay that has a contact(s) that cuts power to all moving/motorized parts, it would also advise the controller (E-stop input) that an E-stop has taken place.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Depends if you want to do it according to code or accepted industry standard, the E-Stop string should be a hard wired string with all limits, P.B.'s etc ANDed together and the final result ends with a E-stop relay that has a contact(s) that cuts power to all moving/motorized parts, it would also advise the controller (E-stop input) that an E-stop has taken place.
    Al.
    Guess I still don't understand. I can run them, and to an increasing extent program them, but I am still trying to figure out how to WIRE them. Here's a link to the manual - maybe that will help someone with a bit more know-how than I have figure it out... http://blog.pennybuying.com/down/a/A509A.pdf

Your questions appeared to cover how to wire the E-Stop and connect the controller board, I was addressing the former, how the board is connected in operation I have had no experience with.
    The E-Stop is essentially a separate issue.
    Al.

Albert E.

The e-stop is specifically what I was asking about. The rest of the hookup is pretty much self-explanatory, and I have managed to get the motors to run just fine with this controller (it remains to be seen how everything performs under load). I just want to be able to get everything to STOP if something goes awry...

As mentioned previously, disconnect the power to all motor drives and input a e-stop into Mach as a minimum.
    If you have steppers and want to retain the position, instead of removing the stepper power, rely on the e-stop input into Mach instead.
    Servo's are a different matter, the power should be removed from the drives as they retain their posn from the encoder..
    Al.

Albert E.

Not running Mach, though. The control software is CNC-USB from Planet CNC. In fact, my board won't work with Mach at all. There is an "e-stop" command in the GUI that can be clicked on, but I haven't found a way to set up an e-stop in the software.

I would assume it would also receive an E-Stop input as well as issues one?
    Al.

Albert E.